Chapter 6: Sirius

It was their fourth week at the school and on the Sunday morning Hermione woke to find Harry pacing the room, a huge frown on his face, yet she could not read the thoughts that were bothering him enough for him to be the way he was. 'It would seem that some thoughts are not for sharing, that's sort of good to know, we do at least have some privacy' she thought as she sat up.

"Ok, what is it Harry, what's got you pacing at…?" she looked over at the clock "blimey it's only six."

"Sorry love, I didn't mean to wake you," Harry said sitting on the end of the bed.

"I just felt you were unhappy about something, strange though I didn't know what you were thinking, it felt a little odd after four weeks of being able to know your every thought," Hermione said "still it means we do at least have a little privacy."

"Yes, I noticed the other day, it's odd really and I never mentioned it in case you got the wrong idea," Harry told her smiling a little.

"You should have told me, why was it odd?" she wanted to know.

"Well Nev asked me where you were, and I couldn't feel you or hear your thoughts, so I asked the castle and it informed me you were in the girls toilets, I didn't tell you in case you thought I was trying to spy on you while you went for a, well you know what I mean, so I realised that even the fates thought some things should be private, good thing too, imagine me having to watch all those girls doing their thing, or see them in the changing room," Harry answered with a chuckle.

"Harry Potter if I catch you watching any girl who isn't me, 'doing their thing' as you so delicately put it, you are going to be in a huge pile of trouble," she laughed.

"So do you want to tell me what the problem is, or are you going to drive me crazy by pacing all day?" Hermione asked suddenly becoming serious.

"Telling you would help, I mean you are so much better at thinking these problems through than I am, the big problem is how to explain it to you in a way that doesn't make you think you are eternally married to a lunatic," Harry replied wondering just how he had only had one huge problem ten minutes ago and now he had two.

"Why don't you just tell me what the problem is first, then you can explain it all afterwards, if you see what I mean," Hermione offered.

"Yes ok, well the problem is my godfather is in Azkaban. It's the wizard prison, it's the worst place on earth, and he's there for a crime he did not commit. Now my problem is I know who did commit the crime, and I know how to capture him, but if I capture him now it will make catching Voldemort an even harder task than it already is, you see Wormtail, that's his name, well according to a prophecy I once heard he is supposed to help Voldemort get a new body, then I will have something to get rid of." Harry finished and looked to see if she thought him mad.

"So you have to decide whether you can leave your godfather in prison, and let this Wormtail go free, well if it was me Harry I would set my godfather free and worry about Voldemort when the time comes," she said without questioning how he knew these things. It was Harry after all and she knew him, knew his mind, and she knew he was not lying, but she also knew he would never be able to get any rest if he left an innocent man in prison and did nothing to help.

"You know, wife of mine, that you really are the greatest witch of your age," Harry said proudly "and I promise I will try to explain everything to you one day."