Chapter 7: Quidditch and Shopping.

November the first had arrived and Harry had a slight problem to solve, he was not on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. How he had forgotten such an important part of his other life he did not know, all he was sure about was his befriending Neville Longbottom instead of Ron Weasley had brought him a few more problems than he had anticipated.

He was sat in the stands of the Gryffindor's, looking at the Quidditch pitch, remembering and reliving old memories of days long ago. It had been many years since he had played the game but quidditch was something that got into the blood, once you had played it you never forgot the thrill of winning or of catching the snitch. He eventually had an idea of how he could get himself on to the team, but it would need the help of both Neville and Hermione.

Harry found them both studying in the library; Neville had a book on the plant life of the Scottish mountains opened on his lap. Hermione had at least six different books and her own note book open, all spread out across the largest table in the library. Harry told them of his scheme to get a place on the quidditch team and to his delight they both volunteered to help him, without asking any questions at all.

The next morning Harry and Hermione stood out on the lawns in front of the castle, the weather was cold and Hermione was well wrapped up. Harry had put on the warmest set of clothes he possessed that would allow him plenty of freedom to move about on a broom. Having borrowed a school broom without permission Harry knew he was risking getting a detention but if his plot worked he would once again play in the first match of the season.

Neville had cornered Seamus Finnegan in the common room as he stood right behind Oliver Wood, the Gryffindor quidditch captain. "I'm telling you Seamus, you should have seen Harry potter on a broom, he was fantastic. He's out on the lawns still. He can catch a snitch faster than I can blink." Neville said not too quietly but still trying not to make it obvious he wanted Wood to overhear. "I'd bet anyone a Galleon Harry is faster than Charlie Weasley was."

Wood rose from his chair and left the common room, Neville rushed to the window nearest the door and pulled off his scarf, then with several students looking at him as though he were mad he pulled open the window and held out his scarf and began to wave it frantically.

From where she was standing Hermione could see Neville's scarf being waved, "Looks like Wood took the bait already," she called to Harry who was hovering a few feet away.

Five minutes later Ron Weasley came wandering across the grass, he looked lost in thought as he approached Hermione.

'Now that's a lucky break' Hermione thought, Weasley would be able to throw the ball much better than she could, "Hey there Weasley, fancy joining in," Hermione asked him.

"Huh, What, Join in what?" Ron asked as he jumped out of his thoughts.

"Well I've been throwing this ball for Harry to catch, bet you can't beat him," she said as she tossed the little silver ball from one hand to the other.

"That's about the size of a snitch," Ron said as he caught it mid toss.

Just then Harry saw Wood standing just inside the castle entrance, he obviously did not want Harry to know he was there. Harry grinned 'you have to move much quicker than that to hide from me Mr Wood' he thought.

"Hey there Potter, think you can catch," Ron shouted up to him, "here catch this one," he called as he threw the little ball as hard as he could.