Chapter 8: The Nemesis

It was a very hot and humid day indeed.

Obelia was a tropical country with sunny warmth all year long. It was one of the reasons why the country's agriculture was thriving. People from neighbouring countries often choose to avoid the cold season by temporarily residing in Obelia and then coming back to their country when the weather's warmer.

Somehow, Athy was very thankful for that... She didn't really fancy winter. It reminded her of the dark time in her previous life...

"Blessings upon the Obelian Empire,"

The greeting startled her and brought her back from her trance. She suddenly realized she finally arrived in her private library... and for some reason, Ijekiel Alphaeus was standing before her, holding one of her private collection books.

Huh?? How the hell he ended up here?

"Oh, it's you, Lord Ijekiel! What are you doing here? You aren't supposed to be allowed here,"

"Ah I'm really sorry, Princess... it seemed that I've lost my way... beside, the guards at the door were busy chattering and didn't stop me at all, so I thought it's alright for me to enter," he gave out a chuckle and smiled.

Tch, the guards didn't even realize when he was going in? Ha. I had some lectures to give after this.

"Still, it doesn't mean you can enter any place on the palace ground without permission. This is my private study and very limited people are allowed to enter," Athy sighed and crossed her arm in a defensive manner.

"Yes, pardon me for my impudence, Princess... but judging by the guards who were slacking and the lack of any personal guard beside you right now, I'm a little bit concerned by your personal safety..." He retorted as he smoothly took several steps towards the Princess.

"Perhaps, you need me to consult the Palace's safety measure? I also learned them during my study—"

"That's enough. The Princess didn't allow you to get any closer than this,"

All of the sudden, Athy could feel a presence standing very close behind her, and soon after, she could also smell a familiar scent of cedarwood and spices. It was Lucas.

"You have intruded the Princess' personal space. You should just be thankful for her kindness that she didn't punish you right away instead of blabbering nonsense,"

Ijekiel stopped, and he shifted his gaze to the person who stood awfully close to the Princess. "And who are you, Mister? Aren't you also entering this place without the Princess' permission?"

Even without looking, Athy could be 100% sure that Lucas was currently giving Ijekiel his ultimate sharp glare. And Ijekiel also didn't back out, he tilted his head, a cunning smile plastered on his handsome face.

"I belong to the Imperial family. I don't have any obligation to answer any of your questions regarding my presence," Lucas replied icily.

Uh-oh. Is this a clash between the lone wolf and the gentle charisma that the girls at the tea party gushing about? Maybe I should stop them. No matter how interesting it was for her to watch the two males quarrel, she didn't really want to make a fuss today. Moreover, who knows what Lucas could do if Ijekiel keep on getting on his nerves?

"Alright, stop it. Lord Ijekiel, Lucas is one of the people that is allowed to enter my private study. He is—"

"Oh, so he's the young magician that was chosen as your playmate years ago in my place?" Ijekiel cut in Athy's sentence. He had an unreadable expression on his face.