Chapter 9: The Market Date & The Whistle

"I wish I could at least catch a glimpse of his lonely back once again! Oh, that lonesome wolf, Lucas!" It was Helena who once again voiced her longing for the one and only handsome warlock of the tower, Lucas.

Athanasia felt some chill at the back of her neck due to her desperate attempt held in an unbecoming expression as a response. Instead, she tried to laugh it off and pretend to cough a little.

Oh My God, it was so cringe!!

Because she told her Dad that she liked the tea party that was held previously, His Majesty arranged another one immediately. And here they were, having a picnic under one of the large trees inside The Palace's Garden. This time, they were sitting casually on a picnic mat and also brought a picnic basket with food of their choice.

"Ah, I think my legs are getting stiff, I'm going to walk for a bit. Please excuse me, I'll be back soon," Athy thought that she needed a break from listening to their ultra-hot gossip of Obelia most wanted bachelor, and having stiff legs because they were sitting for so long on the ground was a good excuse to escape, even just for a short time.

"Wait, Princess, do you mind if I go with you? I think my legs are also getting numb," Jeannette abruptly stood up and straightened her dress, ready to follow the Princess. Of course, it would be weird if Athy suddenly refuse, so...

"Okay, let's stretch our legs a bit, Miss Margarita," Athy replied with a smile.

Actually, it was a bit awkward and worrisome for Athy to spend her time with Jeannette only. By this far, Jeannette was a very sweet and beautiful child. It was very hard for her to picture that this girl would bring her misfortune, or even be one of the causes of her death like how it was described in Lovely Princess. Still... Just like how Felix always said, it's never wrong to be extra cautious.

They exchanged several words about mundane stuff, but mostly walking in silence... Athy's mind was busy thinking about what could happen now after Jeannette had failed to make an appearance to her Dad in the Debutante Ball. She couldn't rely on her knowledge about the plot of Lovely Princess any longer, because obviously, the plot had changed too much compared to her reality.

"Princess... do you perhaps... dislike me?"

Jeanette suddenly asked her the most unexpected question out of nowhere.

I-is it too obvious? Am I too silent? I don't mean to make her feel this way though—

"N-no! Oh my, where does it come from, Miss Margarita?" Jeannette's face looked so sad that Athy began to panic. She looked so sad... my heart feels so weak towards that kind of expression.

"Really? I just think that... You kind of avoiding me,"

"No... I mean... I think I just haven't gotten used to having female friends from my age... This is the first time I get to socialize with you and the others, so I might have some trouble adapting. I'm sorry if this came out as me disliking you or anyone,"

Upon Athy's answer, Jeannette looked so relieved. The princess shared her concerns and vulnerability with her, and it made her somehow feel special... Like she had finally gotten a chance to connect with her...

--

Her mana flow always acts weird every time she's having a tea party... Especially when she's around that chimera girl...

Lucas was silently watching the Princess and the girl called Jeannette walking across the garden together. This morning he sensed another abnormal leap of Athanasia's mana level and decided to investigate. It wasn't very concerning, so he decided not to interrupt the Princess' tea party again and just watch her from afar... moreover, that girl called Helena seemed to have this strong obsession with him... he even could overhear her confession about wanting to hug his back.