Chapter 18: Verdeville!

Narrator: Last time on Legend of the Sixteen Crystals, Sorakaji and Ryuuichi met with trouble while sparring and we soon found out why! Sorakaji's extracurricular training sessions had left him broken down and sore! Midori fixed him up, but Father Toraken forced him to sit out another training session! Upon being asked, Sorakaji revealed his abusive childhood and how he came to meet Dr Shibata. Explaining his need to get stronger, Midori offered some wise advice. Taking it to heart, Sorakaji and Ryuu continued training further until their training was complete! Today they arrive in Verdeville for the tournament with the crystal as the prize. Today on Legend of the Sixteen Crystals, the tournament begins!

*Sorakaji, Ryuuichi and Midori walk through the exit of Rojas Plains and climb aboard Tensai's mobile laboratory. Tensai sits in his driver's seat, looking out the window.*

Tensai: Greetings, everyone.

Sorakaji: Hey, Tensai.

Midori: Heya, Tensai!

Ryuuichi: What's up, Sai? *Tensai turns and glares at Ryuuichi.* What?

*Tensai maintains eye contact with Ryuuichi for a second until he turns to the others.*

Tensai: I assume your training went well?

Sorakaji: Yeah, it was great. We all had fun, right guys?

*Midori and Ryuuichi agree.*

Tensai: Excellent. *Tensai starts up his laboratory and drives towards Verdeville.* I hope you two feel you are ready for the tournament.

Ryuuichi: More than ready. I can't wait!

Midori: So how come you're coming along, Tensai? I wouldn't have thought you were into fighting tournaments?

Tensai: Is it not obvious? Where there is a crystal to be found, I shall be there!

Ryuuichi: Makes sense.

Sorakaji: So what have you been doing these last 3 months, Tensai?

Tensai: I take it from that you have not noticed what I have added up there?

*Tensai points to a wall, with a diagram and all 16 crystals. Some have names, most do not.*

Ryuuichi: That's pretty cool, Sai, but how come only 4 of these have names?

Tensai: Because I have only been able to obtain the names of four of these crystals. There is the Crystal of Resurrection, which you have in your possession. There is the Crystal of Power, this blue crystal here, then you have the Crystal of Healing, which is this green one here and finally the Minds' Eye Crystal, this black one here.

Sorakaji: Interesting.

Tensai: Very much so. I apologise for not being able to find any more information out.

Midori: Don't worry about it, Tensai! You did your best, I'm grateful.

Tensai: Thank you, Midori.

*Midori sits down and looks outside the window as the scenery passes by.*

Ryuuichi: What's up, Midori?

Midori: This world is beautiful. The more I see of it, the more I fall in love with it.

*Ryuuichi nods.*

Ryuuichi: Deep. Huh, Sora's a nature boy too!

*We pan over to Sorakaji looking outside another window. Ryuuichi sits down too, and we watch as the Mobile Laboratory drives along until we finally get to Verdeville. Tensai parks.*

Tensai: Oh yes. While I remember, I have created these for you three. As you can see, I am wearing mine. *Focus on a watch-like object on Tensai's wrist.*

Sorakaji: What is it?

Tensai: It is a wrist communicator. *Tensai pulls out three more of them.* As I cannot be with you every day due to other commitments, I can help you out if you need me. These buttons are tuned to the specific frequencies of the others. We have a yellow communicator, a red communicator and a black communicator. Sorakaji, you may have the black, Ryuuichi the yellow and Midori the red. Wherever we are, we can communicate with each other.

Ryuuichi: Hang on... What if this crystal is the one we need?

Tensai: *slightly embarrassed* Well... about that... you see... Well, I just thought... that... *Normally* Well, that you three would like to hear from each other if you have to go your separate ways.

*Ryuuichi nods.*

Ryuuichi: Well yeah, I would. Thanks, Sai!

Tensai: Yes. They are simple enough, I feel. Now then, shall we go?

*The group disembarks. Ryuuichi walks ahead of the others casually, but after a little while looks over his shoulder and sees the other three looking gobsmacked by what they see. We pan out to show that "Verdeville" is a misnomer, because it may be even bigger than Azul River!*

Midori: This is a big village...

Sorakaji: You call this a village?!

Tensai: My word... this may be the biggest misnomer I have ever come across.

Ryuuichi: Oh yeah, you guys have never been out here. Their stadium's massive too. I reckon ours is nicer, of course, but Verdeville's is huge!

Tensai: Oh dear.

Ryuuichi: Hm?

Tensai: It just occurred to me that none of us know how to get to this stadium.

Ryuuichi: Well, you three don't... I, on the other hand do.

Midori: Really?

Ryuuichi: Come with me! *The group follows Ryuuichi, who leads them along a few streets, before he reaches a ramp.* Hold it, stop. Do you feel that, Sora?

*The other three stop dead in their tracks. Sorakaji smiles.*

Sorakaji: Yeah, that's either one of the Marvellous Brothers trailing us... or... *Sorakaji turns and points.* a walking skyscraper by the name of Blackburn!

*The group waits for about 5 seconds when Blackburn comes around the corner.*

Blackburn: Hm. And here I thought I'd surprise you lot. It's good to see you all again. Although I'm surprised to see you out here, Tensai.

*The group continues moving.*

Tensai: It is nice to see you again as well, Blackburn. I am out here on personal research purposes. These purposes just happen to coincide with this tournament.

Blackburn: Eh?

*Midori holds the crystal out in front of Blackburn.*

Midori: Look what we found!

Blackburn: Is that the crystal?

Midori: Yup! It's the Crystal of Resurrection!

Blackburn: I see. So that means that weird necklace they're advertising as one of the prizes for the tournament is...

Ryuuichi: You got it.

Blackburn: That answers that then.

Ryuuichi: Answers what?

Blackburn: Why you're all out here in the first place. How'd you know about this tournament?

Tensai: I had an associate send me a poster advertising this tournament.

Blackburn: And on it there was the crystal and...

Tensai: Yes. *Blackburn raises his eyebrows as if to say "I see."*

Sorakaji: Wow!

*We change to a point of view shot and see he's looking at the massive stadium in front of him.*

Ryuuichi: We're here. Verdeville Stadium. I think Sora approves.

*Sorakaji nods in awe as the group heads inside, post a sign which says "tournament registration" with an arrow pointing in the direction they walk.*

Midori: This is nice!

Tensai: This is lightyears ahead of anything we have in Fuego Heights.

Sorakaji: We need to upgrade from our small fight arena.

Blackburn: I've been telling you the same thing for years.

*The group gets around a corner and we see a line full of fighters moving forward.*

Midori: So THIS is the part where you three register for the qualifying round, right?

Sorakaji: Yeah.

Midori: So that's our cue to make ourselves scarce! Come on, Tensai!

Tensai: It has always bothered me that we cannot watch these things as we can the main tournament. *exhales sharply.* If anyone requires my services, I shall be in my mobile laboratory until you-

Midori: No you don't! You're coming shopping with me!

Tensai: But I wish to-

Ryuuichi: Hey, hang on, meet us back here in about 2 hours, alright?

Midori: Sounds good!

Sorakaji: We can break in these new communicators of Tensai's.

Tensai: What? No, I-

*Midori grabs Tensai by the arm. Sorakaji flicks his card at Midori who catches it.*

Midori: We're going shopping! Let's go!

*Midori drags Tensai off by the arm as he protests to no avail.*

Ryuuichi: Alright, let's rock!

*The group walks up to the registration desk. The young woman at the desk looks up at the group and smiles.*

Receptionist: Hello, you're registering for the tournament?

Ryuuichi: You bet!

Receptionist: So who are you and where are you from?

Blackburn: Blackburn. Pyre Valley.

*The receptionist writes it down.*

Sorakaji: Sorakaji Shibata, Fuego Heights.

*She writes that down too.*

Receptionist: And you?

Ryuuichi: Ryuuichi Kawashima. Azul River. How ya doin'? *Winks.*

*Sorakaji and Blackburn roll their eyes. The receptionist looks uncomfortable.*

Receptionist: Anyway... Go on through, registration closes in about 20 minutes. We'll start the qualifying rounds then.

*Sorakaji and Blackburn begin to walk through to the holding area. Ryuuichi sticks around.*

Ryuuichi: So, how long are you here for?

*Sorakaji and Blackburn pull him away.*

Blackburn: Come on, Casanova, let the lady do her job.

*Sorakaji turns to the receptionist*

Sorakaji: Sorry about that...

*The receptionist laughs.*

Receptionist: Don't worry about it. Good luck!

*The crew walks into a nicely furnished waiting area for the fighters.*

Ryuuichi: Dude! This is even nicer than the holding area in Azul River!

Blackburn: Oh well, I guess we wait.

Ryuuichi: Hey, free sofa!

*Ryuuichi runs to an empty sofa, jumps lightly and lands with his feet up. Blackburn and Sorakaji sit down near him.*

Sorakaji: Wonder what the competition's gonna be like?

Ryuuichi: Who knows? All I know is I hope Marvin Marvellous shows up. I'm happy to accept his challenge.

Blackburn: What challenge?

Sorakaji: Marvin called Ryuu out after his last title fight with his typical grace and humility.

Blackburn: (With disgust) And that man represents the pinnacle of boxing talent in the world. He just goes to prove that class doesn't automatically come with talent.

*A tournament official walks up to the three.*

Official: Hello there, sirs.

*The three look up.*

Ryuuichi: Heya...

Official: If you'd excuse me, we just need you to go over and draw which block you'll be in for the qualifying round!

Blackburn: Hang on, doesn't someone usually gather everyone up and do a big "these are your rules, draw your blocks, here's how it goes" bit?

Official: Well, sir, we do things a little differently here. You draw your blocks, you stay around if you're in the earlier rounds, otherwise you're free to wander around for a little while.

Sorakaji: How late do you mean by "later blocks?"

Official: Anything later than Block 4 has the option of coming back later. *The three agree that it seems fair.* Before each group starts we'll gather you together and run through the rules. So, just go up there, *Points to a desk with a box with a hole for the fighters to pick their numbers out of.* and draw!

*The three go up. Sorakaji picks first, followed by Blackburn, followed by Ryuuichi. They open their bits of paper.*

Ryuuichi: I'm in Block 3. What about you guys?

Sorakaji: *smiles* Block 2. How about you, Blackburn?

Blackburn: Heh.

Ryuuichi: What?

Blackburn: I get to fight straight away. I'm in Block 1!

Ryuuichi: Ah man! Wanna swap?

Blackburn: Not a chance.

*A young man with blue hair and piercing green eyes walks up to the trio.*

Young Man: Excuse me, I heard you were in Block 1?

Blackburn: That's right.

Young Man: Oh, excellent, I'm in Block 1 as well!

Blackburn: Okay...

Young Man: Oh, um... I was just... It's nice to meet someone else in Block 1! Thank you! Bye!

*The young man walks back and sits down. He drinks something from a cup.*

Ryuuichi: That was weird.

Sorakaji: He's probably just nervous.

Blackburn: I definitely get the vibe of a newcomer.

*The young man keeps alternating nervous looks between Blackburn and the floor. We time lapse to a room full of fighters from the first 4 blocks waiting around.*

Tournament Official: Fighters! Welcome to the 20th annual Verdeville Fighting Tournament. As with years past, we have many local competitors, but on top of that we have many out-of-town fighters taking part too. Unfortunately, as some of you know, our reigning champion passed away last year, so all 8 tournament slots are up for grabs. Now then, the 15 fighters from each block will go in and fight until the last man is either beaten or walks out victorious. There will be three rounds and the fastest fighters will qualify for the main tournament.

*A fighter raises his hand.*

Fighter: What if they all come from the same block?

Tournament Official: Well, it's highly unlikely, but that would be just the way things go. Now, competitors, make your final preparations, because Block One fighters, you're up!

*Sorakaji and Ryuuichi look at Blackburn.*

Sorakaji: Good luck, man.

Ryuuichi: Yeah, what Sora said.

*Blackburn fives both of them. The young blue-haired boy walks behind Blackburn.*

Young Man: Good luck!

*Blackburn turns.*
Blackburn: Thank you. You too.

Tournament Official: Good luck, fighters.|

*Blackburn walks into his area. He waits for the three beeps. They count down and the first battle robot comes rushing out at him. He moves around it as it throws fast punches at him. Blackburn swings and the robot bends backwards. It plants its hands down and handstands in reverse. Back up to its feet and Blackburn tries to boot it in the face. The robot grabs his leg and twists, taking Blackburn down.*

Blackburn: Damn! *Blackburn gets back to his feet at the robot tries to rush at him.* Stupid move! HYAH! *Blackburn uses the robot's momentum against it and plants it into the ground with an Empty Abyss.* Come on... *Another robot comes out. Blackburn and the robot assume a defensive stance, sizing each other up.* I don't have time for this. *Blackburn simply lifts the robot up and throws it. The robot lands on its feet, springs back towards Blackburn and strikes him across the face with a solid uppercut. Blackburn shrugs it off and hits the robot with a turning backfist. The robot's eyes go dim as the third comes out. The third robot swings with a big roundhouse at Blackburn who no-sells. The robot springs back and tries to rush forward at Blackburn who decapitates the robot with a solid big boot.* Oops. Probably should have held back a little.

*Blackburn walks out.*

Tournament Official: Well done!

Blackburn: Thank you.

*The group waits for the other competitors to finish. The blue-haired young man is the next competitor out, followed by one or two others. Finally, the time limit is reached for Block 1.*

Tournament Official: Well done to you competitors from Block 1. Next, Block Two fighters!

Blackburn: Give 'em hell, Sora.

Ryuuichi: I expect you to qualify.

Sorakaji: Well, I can't make any guarantees... *Smirks*

*Sorakaji walks into his booth and waits for the countdown. The lights go down and he waits for his opponents. The first robot enters and Sorakaji circles it. It attempts to take him down by both legs and he leaps over it. It rolls back up to its feet, and Sorakaji hits it repeatedly in the abdomen with a flurry of punches. The machine goes down. Sorakaji's second opponent comes out immediately and tries to hit Sorakaji, with Sorakaji weaving and dodging every hit. The robot kicks Sorakaji in the gut and tries to drive its fist downward into the back of Sorakaji's head. Sorakaji moves, waits for the robot to stand back up and kicks it in the face with a superkick, taking its head off.*

Sorakaji: Ah, crap...

*The final robot comes out to fight, Sorakaji throws a jab at the robot, which catches his arm and punches him in the gut. Sorakaji doubles over and the robot uppercuts him in the face. Sorakaji stands back up, the blow obviously doing less damage than it should. The robot swings a left hook which gets ducked. The robot turns and gets a solid right hook to the face, taking its head off also. Sorakaji cringes as he leaves.*

Tournament Official: Congratulations, sir.

Sorakaji: Thanks. Sorry about the two robots I kind of decapitated.

*The tournament official sighs.*

Tournament Official: Alright, we'll get someone in there to clean it up...

*Sorakaji walks over to join his friends, with Ryuuichi spread across a sofa.*

Sorakaji: Move over.

*Ryuuichi sits up and moves over. Sorakaji sits next to him.*

Blackburn: How many did you break?

Sorakaji: Huh?

Blackburn: The robots. They're fragile and made of cheap material. So how many did you break?

Sorakaji: Two...

Ryuuichi: Two, huh?

Sorakaji: That wasn't a challenge.

Blackburn: Well, you topped my record of one.

*Sorakaji and the group look over and see tournament officials helping carry two fighters out. Medical personnel rush in to aid another.*

Ryuuichi: That's the one reason I'm glad I stopped having to take part in these. I hate seeing people being carried out like this.

Sorakaji: You and me both.

*Time goes by and the last fighter stumbles out and collapses. Medical personnel take him away.*

Tournament Official: *To the medical personnel* Is he OK? Alright. *To fighters* Block Three, begin!

Ryuuichi: Yes! Time to shine!

Sorakaji: You've got this, man.

Blackburn: Good luck.

Ryuuichi: Thanks guys, time to knock some screws loose!

*Ryuuichi struts confidently into his booth. As the first battle robot comes into fight, Ryuuichi summons the official.*

Tournament Official: Yes?

Ryuuichi: Hey dude, it's been a while since I've done one of these... Look, basically, I was wondering, could I take all three of these things on at once?

*The tournament official looks at Ryuuichi, shocked.*

Tournament Official: Excuse me?

Ryuuichi: Yeah, well... *The robot takes a swing at Ryuuichi and he casually pushes it away.* Do you mind? Anyway, bring out all three.

Tournament Official: I'm not sure how wise this choice is...

Ryuuichi: I can handle it! Trust me!

*The tournament official sighs, exasperated.*

Tournament Official: Fine... *He moves over to a console and presses a button. The other two robots appear.*

Ryuuichi: Alright! *The robots form a semi-circle around Ryuuichi. Ryuuichi moves behind the one in the middle so fast he seemingly disappears and reappears behind it. It turns and Ryuuichi leans back.* Fist of the Tiger! *Ryuuichi leaps forward, cracks one robot with several palm thrusts, then knocking the head off the second before pushing backward. He pounces forward immediately, crosses his palms over and lands, crouching. The third robot falls apart and Ryuuichi stands back up and walks out.*

Tournament Official: Again? More broken robots?! Argh!

*Ryuuichi rejoins the others.*

Ryuuichi: Three robots? No problem.

Blackburn: You what?

Ryuuichi: Surprised?

Sorakaji: You've got to be kidding me.

Ryuuichi: You're just annoyed because I beat your record!

Sorakaji: That wasn't a challenge!

Ryuuichi: Don't sweat it! Anyway, how do you work these communicators? I'm hungry. Let's meet the other two.

*Ryuuichi plays with his communicator, trying to get it to work. He presses a white button.*

Tensai: Yes? This is Tensai.

Ryuuichi: Sai? It's Ryuu. We're heading your way. Where do you want to meet us?

*Ryuuichi and the others walk out of the qualifying area as we top lapse and cut back in to see the three fighters walk back in. They see a huge crowd of competitors gathered around as the last fighters from block 8 either leave or get carried out.*

Sorakaji: End of block 8?

Blackburn: Must be.

*The boy with the blue hair walks in, nervously again. He accidently bumps into a fighter.*

Fighter: Watch it!

Young Man: Oh, um, excuse me!

Blackburn: *to himself* Strange kid...

*The tournament official stands at the front of the room.*

Tournament Official: Excuse me, please, gentlemen. *The Fighters continue to make noise.* EXCUSE ME PLEASE! *The fighters quieten down.* *Ahem* Thank you. Now then, you have all fought your best. However, only eight of you can make it. The final times are being loaded into the system now, and the fighters with the top 8 times will make it into the main round of our tournament.

*Cut back to Sorakaji's crew.*

Sorakaji: Ugh. Looks like he's here to back up his talk.

Ryuuichi: Who? *Sees the Marvellous Brothers talking amongst themselves.* Oh.
*Back to the tournament official.*

Tournament Official: And the final time has been programmed in. Please pay attention to the monitor above my head. *The competitors look up at a large monitor.* In no particular order, there are the fighters who have qualified to fight in the Verdeville tournament!

*The screen blinks and on it appears the names of Ryuuichi Kawashima, Sorakaji Shibata, Blackburn, Marvin Marvellous, Ginkou, Jeremiah Nanashi, Mac Marvellous and Marc Marvellous. We cut to reaction shots from Sorakaji, Ryuuichi and Blackburn.*

Ryuuichi: ALRIGHT!

Sorakaji: Yes!

*Ryuuichi and Sorakaji turn and slap a loud, solid high-five.*

Blackburn: Excellent.

*Some of the other fighters glare at the trio. Others leave, while others still protest, with officials trying their best to calm them down and make them leave. Eventually, they clear the hall of the people who didn't qualify, leaving only the remaining eight. Sorakaji and company glare at the Marvellous Bros, who sneer back at them.*

Tournament Official: With that out of the way, we will now randomly generate the matches! *The official hits a button on a console and the names of the fighters and their pictures jumble around before they stop, revealing the four quarterfinal matches:
Sorakaji vs Mac Marvellous, Blackburn vs Jeremiah Nanashi, Ryuuichi Kawashima vs Marc Marvellous and Ginkou vs Marvin Marvellous.*
The fights start at 10AM tomorrow morning. Use your time between now and then as you see fit.

Blackburn: Jeremiah? That's... *Looks around the room until he sees the boy with the blue hair from earlier. Jeremiah looks petrified.* Him? Eh?

Ryuuichi: Ah, dammit!

Blackburn: What?

Ryuuichi: I get stuck with Marc in the first round?

*Cut to Marc whose ears perk up and he gets a look of anger on his face.*

Sorakaji: What's wrong with that? He's a jerk, but he's still a tough fighter.

Ryuuichi: Yeah, but I wanted my rematch with Marvin. Hmmm... I wonder if I could get that Ginkou guy to swap with me...

*Back to Marc who looks increasingly ropable, but trying not to snap.*

Blackburn: A fight's a fight, mate. Plus you can always get your rematch in the semi-finals provided you both make it through.

Ryuuichi: That's true. And a Marvellous brother is a Marvellous brother either way.

Marc: *From over Ryuuichi's shoulder* What's that supposed to mean, asshole?
*The group turns around*

Blackburn: Oh for God's sake...

Marc: You don't get to treat me like a joke, you little prick!

*Marc makes a beeline for Ryuuichi and his brothers hold him back.*
Marvin: Settle down, Marc. We both know who's gonna win our matches. We know it'll be you and me in the semi-finals. *Ryuuichi chuckles humourlessly as Ginkou looks on in the background, unimpressed.* And on the off chance Ryuuichi pulls out a miracle, then we'll settle the score one-on-one.

Ryuuichi: One-on-one, so no getting jumped in an alleyway by you and these two clowns this time?

Marc: CLOWNS?!

*Marc lunges forward, but gets stopped by Mac.*

Ryuuichi: I think these officials are a bit more onto it than the ones in Azul River as well, so that thing you guys have for interference is no good either.

*Blackburn smirks in the background.*

Mac: Who needs interference? I'll drop pretty boy here with a classic one-two *throws two lightning quick jabs* like that!

Ryuuichi: You'll hit him with a one-two to the face, or Marc'll hit him with one to the back of the head?

Marc: Why you-!

*Marc tries to swing at Ryuuichi, but gets held back by both of his brothers.*

Sorakaji: Ryuu, settle down.

Ryuuichi: Huh?

Sorakaji: Marc's still mad about me putting him through a wall...

*Marc's eyes go wide as he really loses his composure.*

Blackburn: Sora!

*Sorakaji shrugs. Nearby tournament officials move the fights away from the assembly area. The Marvellous brothers are removed. A muscular man with sandy-coloured hair, Ginkou, walks past and looks Sorakaji, Ryuuichi and Blackburn up and down, then looks at the Marvellous Brothers and sneers.*

Ginkou: That was pathetic. Out of you six, the pyre seems to be the only one with any maturity.
*He shakes his head as he walks out of the room.*

Ryuuichi: Who the hell does he think he is?

Blackburn: That would be Ginkou. He's a former professional wrestler. He was a champion in every promotion he worked for, but he left after a while amidst rumours of match fixing. While the rumours were found to be untrue, he was never looked at the same again so he turned his skills to fighting tournaments instead.

Sorakaji: Seems like a nice guy.

Blackburn: He takes his craft very seriously.

Ryuuichi: No reason to be such an ass about it.

Blackburn: We *could* do to not keep having to be separated by officials because of heated arguments with those three clowns.

Ryuuichi: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Sorakaji: He has a good point. Hey... We probably should grab our stuff from Tensai's lab and check into our hotel.

Blackburn: Well, I'll follow you two around.

Sorakaji: I don't mind the extra company.

Ryuuichi: We probably should have done this before we came back...

Narrator: And so, our heroes qualify for the main tournament. Sorakaji faces Mac Marvellous in the opening match. What treachery will the Marvellous Brothers bring to the tournament this time? And what of Blackburn's opponent, the seemingly-clumsy and shy young man known as Jeremiah? Find out as the tournament begins, next time on Legend of the Sixteen Crystals!