Chapter Seven

You genuinely believe I'd forgive you if...

Dahyun is wide awake on her bed, staring at the ceiling with her hands clasped under her head like she always did. She'd lost track of how many repetitive days had passed. Slowly, the hope she had worked so hard to create began to crumble as well. There's nothing else to this life for her anymore.

Even now, when she heard two knocks on her room's already open door, she didn't respond or even look to see who it was. She remained quiet, seemingly uninterested.

That's when Taehyung decides to intervene, heaving a sigh as he walks forward. "What are you thinking about this time?" he questioned as he drew the armchair closer to Dahyun.

"Nothing," she replied.

"That's new," Taehyung said, his face saddened.

He is aware of his younger sister's creativity. She had been that way since they were children, even though they hadn't resided together for that long. And now, seeing Dahyun in this state hurts him so badly. "I had no idea your mind ever stopped thinking the most outlandish things."

For a short moment, the other looked at him, a small smile on her face. "I know. It's weirder when I don't have anything weird to think about," she admitted. "This time, it's completely blank; when it's supposed to be a movie screen or whatever. The ceiling is just a ceiling."

Taehyung leaned back silently, unsure what to say to her at this time. "I hope you are not giving up just yet, Dahyun," he murmured, struggling to contain his tears. I can't tell you how much Taehyung's heart ached when the girl just smiled weakly at him. "I'm sure you won't," he added, gazing down. He simply refused to cry.

Dahyun needed to find another topic to discuss, so she inquired, "What did you do today?"

"I met Sana's mother," he replied, raising the other's brow in wonder. "It's terrible, but she's..."

"Dr. Minatozaki," Dahyun interrupted. "I know."

"How did you find out?"

"I saw her once," Dahyun said as she sat up straight and pushed herself back against the headboard. "She didn't see me, but if she had, I'd be in big trouble."

"From mom and dad?"

"No, it's Sana," Dahyun replied. "She isn't aware of it yet, and I don't intend to inform her."

Taehyung didn't have to say anything about it. Even if he hasn't been in that situation, he realizes how difficult it is to inform people about a personal matter such as that. "I was taken aback when I found out her mother was Dr. Minatozaki. I didn't know what to do," Dahyun stated. "When I came home, mom figured things out, and I honestly resent the universe for putting me in those sorts of situations in a single night. It was frustrating."

"I'm sure it was, Dahyun."

"And all of that prompted me to make the decision to ignore Sana. I purposefully left her messages on read, dismissed her calls, and all of that nonsense; I wanted her to despise me."

Taehyung exhaled and shook his head, somehow aggrieved, but still, those actions made sense if you look at Dahyun's perspective. He simply thought there might be a better way than what the other had considered.

"But then I knew it was all my fault," Dahyun remarked quietly. She grabbed a cushion and placed it on her lap to lay her chin on. "It's my fault that I introduced myself to her as the person I used to be, not this weak and sick, and horrible me," she chuckled as if nothing unacceptable got spoken.