Chapter seven

What is love?

Nightmare stared at his brother because he couldn't take his eyes away from the traitor.

-YOU DID WHAT? He gasped.

Dream stepped away with a smile on his face.

-I had to! He giggles. I'm sure you're grateful!

-OF COURSE NOT, OH MY NIM! DREAM COME BACK HERE YOU PIECE OF SHIT.

They ran through the corridors of the castle, Nightmare was pissed off, as soon as he'd grabbed him it would be over, but Dream couldn't care less since he ran much faster, and he kept laughing. The workers of Nightmare glared at them, lost. They murmured some questions to each other, but nobody knew the answers except Error who smiled softly at the scene. Exhausted, Dream sat on a chair in one of the many corridors, followed by Nightmare. Nightmare stood still in front of him before they stared at each other, slightly calmer than before.

-Why did you do that?

He asks, panting. 

-I wanted to help you, you would have done nothing to show him that your love is mutual! 

Nightmare shook his head before letting out a long sigh.

-Wait, what? What do you mean by mutual? You're speaking to him when I'm not here? How do you even know we...-

Dream left his finger on Nightmare's lips.

-You're welcome brother!

-I hate you so much Dream I swear.

He pushes his brother away.

-Poor little Nightmare, you're really that flustered?

Dream glanced at his brother, he had run away already, leaving him all alone in a cold corridor, he sighed.

From Nightmare's perspective, he crosses the corridors quickly, and after a while, he meets the curious eyes of his employees who smile mischievously. Error is one of those people, he waves at him, a wave that seems almost shy. Nightmare sees him advancing toward him so he backs away before starting his race back to his room, as soon as he enters it he slams the door, without the key that he left in his personal library he can't close it. 

He feels his breath getting slower and his heart faster. He's not in love with him, but now that Dream thinks so, he won't let go of him and he'll need the courage to admit it. Error is not the person he is interested in, but in any case, neither he nor Ccino is interested in him. He shakes his head, It doesn't matter to him, love is by no means his priority but seeing them all in love to a point, even his brother as annoying as he is makes him a little jealous. It's normal for him, negative feelings since he's the guardian of negativity. It's his job not to be happy, and so far that's never been a problem. So why, this time his own negativity hurt him? Nightmare feels like he's six again like all the trauma and the accident didn't change anything. Five hundred years went by and nothing entirely changed, because he never changed. He still does everything to be loved and happy, it ate him alive when he realized that he couldn't be effortlessly happy, and now he feels bad again because of it.

He sat down on his bed, legs crawled up against his chest and his hands holding his head as if it was about to fall because of the overthinking making it heavy. He lowered his left hand to his face to wipe his eyes before any tears could escape.

He suddenly heard a soft knock on his door that startled him. Before he could even yell "No you can't enter!" The person behind the door opened, and a long dark blue scarf showed itself before Error showed his face, he wasn't smiling anymore but deep down he wanted to, this situation was pathetic.

-Are you really crying because I'm not desperately gay for you?

Nightmare snorts.

-Of course not. Does that mean you're dramatically gay for someone else?

-I'll keep that as a secret.

A heavy silence was heard, neither of them knew what to say. Actually, Nightmare didn't want to talk because the conversation would involve his feelings, and Error wanted to laugh at his friend's brother's aberrant naivety. But now that the twins were closer, Error could see how similar they were.

-You've been more sensitive to anything that happens since the day you started to speak to Dream again, he's got a weird effect on you.

Nightmare lifts his head towards his friend, and he smirks.

-That's his aura, mine hasn't been strong since people are happier. He has a bigger impact on me than I do on him... so yeah I'm sensitive because of that fucker.  

-It's not just his aura though, he seems like he's more mature with you and the truce between you too worked. You can't deny that he's got a good impact on you, you even got your old brother-relation back that's why ya'll are so different.

-Mature him? It's only his aura having a bad effect on me, he's still an absolute dumb child and the truce is only working because of sole sacrifices I had to do.

He lies, hiding the new emotions he's been feeling because of his brother. "Yeah we're two bounding brothers once again and I feel different but did... he change as well? I think we both didn't notice how we are completing each other, as much as I hate to admit that but, I need him as much as he does." His heart feels warmer, he didn't want to have this whole conversation about himself but even though he tried to avoid it and still got it, he feels one of the many problems he has getting off his shoulders.

-Wait, how could you have noticed when he's not coming as often as before and you're barely even here? 

Error looks away out of flustration, a mix of frustration and flustered, his cheeks are taking a warm colour shade. Nightmare gasps, his mouth slightly opened in shock.

-No it's not what you think..-

-YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH DREAM?