Why?

Claire woke up in the warm summer that it was that day. She went to her window and let herself enjoy the breeze, along with the birds singing and all that green of the most beautiful tree in their big garden.
They lived secluded from the city, where everything was quiet and the family could hear themselves think.
She went down the stairs and grabbed a bowl for her cat Lui. She filled it with his favorite food, the little tuna flavored brown balls.
— Honey? — murmured Amanda; she had just woken up.
— Oh, hello, mother! How are you this morning? I was just giving Lui some food, you know how he gets. — said Claire with infinite joy for that moment, something she wouldn't feel awhile.
— Yes, you do that, my love. Can you make me some coffee? — Amanda never asked her to make her coffee, they would always do it together. Something wasn't right.
After making the beverage, she sat down with her mother and waited for her to start a conversation.
— So, honey... I need to talk to you. It's important.
— What is it, mother? — Claire was already extremely worried. She didn't like it when people began sentences like that, why didn't they just cut to the chase?, she thought. I guess to be sensitive...
— Your father has left without warning, therefore I don't know when or if he'll be back.
Claire revisited her previous thought, and dessgreed with it this time.
— What? — she couldn't believe it. Of course she didn't care for him underappreciating her mother, but she still loved him.
Claire and Amanda spent the day together, doing the usual and more. She didn't understand why he had gone, since he was the one that undermined them. They would be more likely to leave.