xv. the trials of treachery

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:THE TRIALS OF TREACHERY

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
THE TRIALS OF TREACHERY

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

KIT DEMPSEY WAS THE calm before the storm, the eerie silence that lingered right as the first thunder cloud rumbled overhead. With Midas laughing in his face and Lit rocking back and forth on his heels like a bloodhound eager to be set off his leash, Kit had no other choice but to reign back his anger, to channel it into the harsh grip on his sword. When Midas spoke, Kit's eyes narrowed, but that was the only sign he was in there, watching and waiting.

"Gold trumps fire, I'm afraid," the King's words were taunting, prickly as they attempted to worm their way beneath Kit's skin. "In this room, my power dampens all others; fire... even charmspeak. Which leaves me only two more trophies to collect."

Kit scoffed, eyes narrowing. At his side, Jason was breathing shakily, voice wavering as he shouted at the door, "Hedge! We need help here!"

Midas decided to entertain the call for a moment. The group waited, listening for the tell-tale signs that Gleeson Hedge was running in for a fight. However, it soon became clear there was nothing. Hedge didn't charge in. It was like he'd never been there to begin with. Kit and Jason only had each other.

Midas' grin was radiant, like a cat who'd gotten the cream. "No goat to the rescue? How sad. But don't worry, my boys. It's really not painful. Lit can tell you."

For an instant, Jason caught Kit's eye, nervous but determined. When Kit just nodded back, the first cracks appearing in his calm demeanour, Jason exclaimed, "We choose combat. You said we could choose to fight Lit instead."

Midas let out a sigh, shoulders slumping with obvious disappointment, but he didn't disagree with their request as he leaned back in his throne to address them. "I said you could die fighting Lit. But of course, if that's what you wish."

Lit's smile was sadistic as he stepped into the spotlight. His eyes were locked on Kit, his first target. "I'm going to enjoy this," he cackled. "I am the Reaper of Men!"

Kit raised his sword at the same time as Jason summoned his own weapon. With his javelin now in hand, he mocked, "Come on, Cornhusker!"

"Oh, gold weapon," Midas gasped in approval. "Very nice."

For a moment, Lit stared between the two boys like he couldn't decide which one he hated the most. Was it Kit with his dark eyes and sneer, who moved like he knew every one of Lit's weaknesses? Or was it Jason, with his windswept blonde hair and typical 'I'm the main character' bravado? In the end, it didn't matter. Lit was so eager for a fight, he decided to take them both on at once. He charged with a surprising amount of speed, prompting Kit and Jason into position.

Jason dodged the first hit as Kit raised his sword to block Lit's oncoming one. Metal shrieked in protest as it collided. Lit almost immediately drew back, then came at him from a different angle. Again, his speed was a surprise for Kit, who was awfully unsteady on his feet as he narrowly dodged being stabbed in the ribs. He feigned to the right, but Lit chased after him, slowly but surely backing Kit into the corner.