Chapter 4

Dan Granger was going to be calling the health & safety people out tomorrow and have them check over their nitrous oxide supply in his surgery, it had to be faulty otherwise he would have to accept that he was standing here having a conversation with a painting. He wasn't even sure where 'here' was as a woman called Cas had taken his arm and 'beamed' them here. Dan knew he wasn't good with women but thought he could at least recognise one, watching as Cas transformed to a female cross between Yoda and ET shattered that illusion as well.

His wife was in quick-fire question mode so it was probably just as well they were two talking people in the portrait as one would never have kept up with her, if the notebook came out even with two answering they would struggle.

Hermione entered with Harry and Luna as Hedwig had dropped them off in the hall before returning for the Lovegoods, she was mesmerised by the sight of all the books and even more since they were about magical subjects. She was brought rapidly back into focus by the terror she felt coming from Harry, books were soon forgotten as she hugged her now shaking friend.

The Lovegoods had just joined them in the library when Martha lost her temper, "Harry James Potter, we told you to be careful and now we have a house full of people who know your secret, you are in so much trouble!"

Emma turned to see the colour drain from the boys face and the fear in his eyes was unmistakable; Hermione and Luna attached themselves to the now shaking boy like limpets in an effort to provide some form of comfort. She spoke, keeping her voice as calm as possible, "Martha your grandson has been abused for most of his life, he now thinks he's going to be beaten and thrown in a dark cupboard and I'm sure that's not what you meant."

She took one step towards Harry only to be confronted with a raging phoenix who'd flashed into the room looking ready, willing and able to rip them all to shreds, Hedwig landed on Harry and again encompassed the trio with her wings as she soothed the children with her song. Dan was searching around for some kind of weapon to protect his family from this monster when the bird started singing and all his worries just drifted away, he couldn't help but notice the light emanating from the scene in front of him illuminated the entire library.

Martha was being comforted by Jonathon while Xeno and Maia's jaws were on the floor, Emma was sure the light this time was a lot brighter and more intense than in her surgery.

When Hedwig eventually stopped singing and folded her wings back to her body she remained perched on Harry, ready to protect her chicks. It was Hermione who broke the silence, "Hedwig that was beautiful, and thank you for helping Harry. Is it normal for me to understand what she says?"

"I don't know but I can hear it to," replied Luna.

Maia let out a gasp, "Oh Merlin the three of them have bonded, and with a white phoenix too!"

Dan had reached breaking point, in truth he was so far past it that it was over the horizon in a different time zone, "Ok, talking pictures, woman who aren't women and a white singing turkey – if somebody doesn't tell me what the hell is going on right now then me and my family are out of here, wherever here is!"

Hedwig let out a screech and the three children collapsed in laughter, much to the consternation of the adults present. Harry eventually got himself under control enough to let the rest of them in on the joke, "Sorry Mr Granger but Hedwig said that if you come anywhere near her with stuffing then you'll be the one getting roasted."