Mr Brightside

I left school just before lunch today- it's not like anyone really needs me if Gee's not there, and they weren't.

I'm worried- really worried. Apparently someone had seen Gee talking to Bert before school, and I don't know who they saw, but there's no way Gee would be talking to Bert. Not after what he'd done.

Either way, I walked to Gee's house once I'd left school, and I wasn't expecting the door to open while I was knocking, but Gee must have left it open by accident.

There were a lot of things I was expecting when I heard Gee's voice from their bedroom, but nothing could have prepared me for what I saw when I peeked through the slight gap in the door from where it wasn't closed properly.

It started out with a kiss. And at first it was only a kiss but I can guess where this was going. Bert brought his cigarette up to his lips, before Gee took it from him, taking a drag themself. Now they're going to bed, and my stomach is sick.

And it's all in my head.

Surely, it's all in my head.

Gee would never do that to me, and they'd certainly never go back to Bert after what he did.

But they move, and they're touching Bert's chest now, and he takes off their shirts now.

And I just can't look- it's killing me.

And oh my god they're doing it, they're going all the way. And really, I don't have to watch- I could walk away and pretend I never saw it. I could walk away and forget about this. Maybe I could wake up and find out that this was all some horrible, horrible nghtmare.

But I don't walk away, and I don't wake up, and it's not a nightmare, and my life is so fucking pathetic that I'm watching my first partner have sex with their abusive ex.

How fucking wonderful.

I stand at the door, watching Bert pleasure the person I've been in love with for three years, and when they finally fucking finish, Gee looks at the door, and by the time they see me it's too late, because we're making eye contact, and Gee is still panting after the intense orgasm they'd just experienced. And the cherry on top?

Bert is still fucking going.

I don't even think about what I'm doing, but I'm out of Gee's house as fast as I can be, and I'm speedwalking away from that building that I never want to see again. When I get home I go straight to my room, grabbing all of Gee's stuff- their clothes, their comics, fucking everything, and a lighter. I leave the iron maiden ticket, and I leave the monster can they left at my house by accident, as little reminders of what happens when you let your heart win.

I get a large cardboard box and put all of the stuff I grabbed from my room into it. Pulling the box out of my living room, I drag it into the garden and I leave it there until night falls. Then, under the light of the crescent moon, I place my heart into the box, and set the whole thing on fire.

It's satisfying to watch the stuff burn. The clothes all catch fire quite easily, the cardboard box and comic books serve as good fuel as well. I can see when my heart catches fire, because the flame rises high above my head and crackles loudly.

I sit in the garden all night, just watching the box burn and letting my emotions flicker and die away slowly, just like the fire eventually has to.

Good night Mr Brightside.