.2

okay hi hello, so quick little message , I'm switching to third person because it gives me a lot more writing freedom and I apologize for the inconsistency but I do not want to start this all over and also don't want to write in first person anymore.... okay carry on I hope you all enjoy <3

They headed upstairs for dinner together. Cam was using Lando to stabilize herself but her arms and legs were really sore and she struggled with every step. Lando lifted up more of her weight and stayed with her until she was sitting down at the table. Cam wasn't sure if she would be able to move after dinner but she didn't think about that. In fact, dinner with the Norris' had always been a place for her to not think. Everything that was wrong always seemed to fall away, she wasn't thinking about Lando or Liam, she wasn't worried about how sore she was going to be in the morning, or how much longer it would be until she made it into F3. It all went away for the hour and a half that they would all spend eating together. 

Even when Lando said "I have an announcement..." the anger was out of her grasp. She was just happy for him, and she cheered with the rest of his family while they all smiled and congratulated him. When he caught her eye, they were both smiling so wide, he was instantly brought back to when they were little and karting together. Cam was smiling the same way she smiled every time she beat him in a race. He would know because it happened often, and it was his favourite smile. 

After dinner they both went to their rooms, Cam took what might be the hottest shower on record, and Lando started to unpack a little. When she came knocking on his door, he threw his suitcase off his bed and let her in. Lando had always known somewhere that Cam was attractive, but he had set that all aside a long time ago, just as he assumed she had. But sometimes, there were these moments where he couldn't put it away. Tonight was one of those nights. Lando had gotten used to 'Cameron Lawrence, up-and-coming racing driver' Cam: her hair and makeup were done for her, she was dressed by stylists and scripted by publicists. She was still herself but... not. When she was on track, she wasn't allowed to be 'Cammy', the Cam that Lando actually grew up with, there were too many eyes on her, too many people waiting for her to make a mistake. Cam was much more laid back and much less posed. Her air dried hair was curlier than the regular blowouts she got for press, she only wore her glasses when she was at home, she dressed comfortably and only nice if she felt like it. Tonight she was wearing their old high school sweater, Lando wondered if it was her own or his that she had stolen after they graduated. He always remembered her being more human at home than on track, and even though everyone was, it was different with Cam. 

They were sitting on his bed, debating back and forth between films. Cam wanted High Fidelity, but Lando just wanted to rewatch The Social Network for the tenth time. The only reasonable solution, they agreed, was to flip a coin. They tossed it in the air and both called "heads" at the same time, which of course meant the coin landed on tails. They dissolved into a fit of laughter, eventually Cam was grappling at her stomach because she was in so much pain and Lando had rolled onto the ground. It shouldn't have been this funny, but after the day the two of them had, hysteria might have been playing a role in creating their source of entertainment. 

When they could finally breathe again, and had regained enough strength to stand up straight, Lando lifted himself onto his knees and knelt on the ground with his elbow on the bed. He was facing Cam who was laying down, still giggly and struggling to catch her breath. For the second time that night, he had one of those moments where he remembered that Cam is actually gorgeous. 

"What?" she said, "Is there something on my face?" Lando had zoned out and was staring at her, but he recovered with a quick "No, you just look like yourself again, and I haven't seen you off track in so long, so I got so used to Cameron Lawrence, I was scared I was starting to forget what Cammy looked like" 

And even though he said it with admiration, Cam was hurt by this blunt admission. Lando felt guilty as soon as he said it. "Well... you know it's not exactly up to me" she said softly. 

"I know. I'm sorry" 

She shook her head, and gently shoved him to signify that all was good. "You know, Cameron Lawrence isn't so bad."

"No, she's not" Lando admitted. "She's great. But she's not Cammy" 

"No, but she's Cameron Lawrence, future World Champion" she said it with extra emphasis, hands waving in front of her face in a show of extravaganza. 

Cam didn't exactly believe it herself, but when Lando replied "yeah, she is" so calmly and securely, she started to give weight to her own words. 

Cam changed the conversation before she gave herself the chance to overthink it. "Well, since the coin landed on heads... that can either mean we watch neither movie or..." Cam was hoping Lando would catch on. "Or we could watch both" he said returning her knowing look. They settled onto his bed, both sitting up against the bed frame, leaning into each other.

The reality that neither of them considered however, was that they were both too tired to make it through most of the first film. Lando woke up in the middle of the end credits with Cam asleep on his shoulder. He tried to wake her, but she just groaned in her sleep. It was only midnight, he could just wake her up and take her to her room, or he could just let her sleep there. He turned the tv off, and helped slide Cam down from her upright position so she would be a little more comfortable. He slipped under the covers with her and did his best to fall asleep, but he was constantly aware of himself, all of his movements and how close the two were, careful to give Cam space and to not wake her. 

Lando's efforts to give Cam her space were to no avail. The next morning the two of them woke up entangled. She was fast asleep on his outstretched arm, her arm was laid across his chest, and their legs were one big tangled mess. 

He wanted to let her sleep, so he slipped out from under her, but as his arm slid out, she grabbed onto it. For a minute he thought she was awake, and his breath hitched in his throat. But she wasn't awake. It must have been an instinct for her to reach out and grab onto him like that. When he realized he couldn't get out, (not that he was trying very hard), he settled back under the covers, and scrolled through his Instagram until Cam woke up.