Chapter Five

Egon didn't know what to do. He'd looked everywhere for his daughter. He'd called every person she knew. He had even called his brother Elon in Washington DC. Elon was horrified to hear what had happened but hadn't heard from Winter in months. He was planning to come and help out with the search. That made him feel a little better. Having his twin around usually made him feel better. There was just something uncomfortable about being separated from a twin.

No one had seen her. It was like she had disappeared. How could this have happened? Where could she have gone? Every time he thought about it he felt a pit in his stomach.

What if something bad had happened to her? He did everything he could to try and not think about it. If he did he would burst into tears. He couldn't do that. He had to be strong. Janine was an emotional mess. He needed to be strong for her.

He had reported her missing and the police were doing all they could.

There had to be something he was missing. This whole incident was so strange.

He sat in his office with his head in his hands racking his brain. There had to be someone he missed. Someone she would go to. His eyes fixated on the phone. Winter wouldn't go...there...would she? She hated that woman. Well, there was always the chance. It was the one person he hadn't called. He picked up the phone and pushed in a number he hadn't dialed in a long time. Part of him hoped there would be no answer. He internally cringed when a voice picked up on the other line.

"Spengler residence, Rosie speaking," a voice said.

For a second Egon thought about hanging up. He didn't really want to talk to this woman.

"Hello Mother," Egon said, trying to be polite.

"Egon? Is that you?" she asked, unable to hide the surprise in her voice. "You haven't talked to me in ages."

"I'm looking for Winter," he explained, trying to get to the point quickly. "Have you seen her?"

"Oh, I saw that on the news," she said, worry filling her voice. "I'm so sorry to hear about your little girl."

Egon wasn't sure he believed her. Her mother didn't even seem to like her granddaughter.

"Egon," she said when he remained silent. "I know things have been bad between us but...but I am worried about your child. She's just a child after all. What happened? All I've heard on the news is that she's been missing."

"She slept at the firehouse one night," Egon explained carefully, leaving out most of the details. "The next day she was gone."

"Maybe she ran away," she said. "Is she having any kind of trouble?"

That was a subject he didn't want to get into with her. He wouldn't even know what to say.

"How about I come to visit?" she asked out of the blue.

Visit? He couldn't remember the last time she'd done that. His mother always made it clear she didn't like Janine or the way he raised Winter.

"I promise I won't cause any trouble," she said. "I...I just want to help."

Egon wasn't too sure about this. Whenever she came around there were problems. Yet, she really did seem concerned. Maybe she did just want to help. It might help Janine to have someone else around.

"Fine," he said. "As long as you promise to be kind of my wife. She isn't any place to be bothered by you."

"Egon..." she said softly. "I'm a mother. I want to be there to support another mother."