4 | Misfit Toys

(somewhat rushed chapter, my apologies! this stressful week has me in for loops, I'll try to edit it later (^^))

🎃🎃🎃

The people of that misfit town did not take well to the addition of (Y/n)s presence. They all heard the rumor about the boogeyman in the woods who'd gotten restless with its lack of food, who came to town to get its fill long needed by feasting on whoever it had a lingering hunger for. 

Kids and pets and all things fragile and innocent fled when she'd come by, shopkeepers would close at the sight of her stitched cheeks coming around the corner; Even the skeletons could be heard shuffling uncomfortably in their coffins as she'd tread over the graveyard.

At the end of the day, when (Y/n) and Reimi would return home to the deep woods, was when the town was most lively. Wonder would spread about in hushed murmurs as everyone began to ask around who'd gone missing, who'd been victim of the bogeywoman's appetite that day, though the headcount always remained the same.

Either Reimi had better hearing than her counterpart, or (Y/n) didn't bother to care for what they heard as they passed the staring folk of Halloween town. 

The was a place full of freaks and weirdos, supposed rejects and outcasts coming together to thrive in an oasis where they were meant to be accepted no matter what. If that was really the case, then why did they have to be treated differently? What was so wrong with them that they deserved to be pushed to the side?

The only people that seemed to give a damn about their existence were Fugo, Mista, and Narancia-- but that was mainly fueled by their extreme curiosity. Desperately did Reimi want to include Risotto in that list, for it was said that he cared for all the beings under his reign no matter what they were, but even he seemed reluctant to accept the boogey-woman and her doll.

It seemed to be no trouble for (Y/n) either way, as she'd been hellbent on making as many friends as physically possible despite the circumstances. However, each attempt, naturally, failed. Though that was a given.

It dragged on for weeks, and those weeks stretched into months. The town didn't thaw its icy disposition once through that time-- and if anything, it worsened. 

The final straw for the town was when its annual meeting was held, an event (Y/n) had been previously unaware of until Fugo had let it slip during a conversation.

It had once been what the townspeople called their little 'safe-haven', the one space they could have to themselves without the attendance of the boogey-woman to sour the mood. It was when the halls door burst open that they knew that space was no longer the sanctuary it had once been.

"Sorry for being late." (Y/n) smiled, leading in her assistant and the children three.

The stands grew quiet in their arrival, the once excited murmurs melting into annoyed groans and sharp glares. Reimi felt every bit of their disdain, her hand gripping (Y/n)s tightly as they pulled themselves to the only two open seats in the house. 

The ghoul beside them scooted away in an obvious disgust, face wrinkling with distaste as (Y/n) flashed a grin their way. They stayed in a tense, awkward position, shrouding away from the pair the best it could in its limited seating space. The witches behind them happened to do the same thing, shrinking into their cushions to get as far as possible without falling out of their seats.

It wasn't long until the empty podium at the foot of the stage was occupied by a familiar skeleton, tapping his stack of papers against the flat of the platform. The cloud of discomfort that once plagued the air vanished in an instant, as a light of relief seemed to shine on everyone at the presence of authority.