Patricia's Pizza

Chapter 7

"Yo yo yo! Welcome to Patricia's Pizza! What can I get you tonight good sir?" The energetic young lady manning the door says as I come in.

"I already had supper thanks. Randal sent me over though."
"Randal huh? Yo Pete!"

The guy behind the counter stood up.

"Yo, need something Emily?"
"This guy said our old pal sent him."

These two were causing such a commotion over my arrival that the patrons started to look at me. Filled with secondhand embarrassment, I lower my hood over my eyes and look at the floor.

"Ah, him! Come over here."

Eyes toward the floor, I made my way over to the counter. Emily must've noticed how I was embarrassed, I heard her giggle as I walked to Pete.

"Randal sent you huh?"
"Yeah. Also, you mind lowering your voice?"

Pete smirks at my suggestion.

"Emily's too peppy for her own good sometimes. Sorry about that."

Pete then looks around then whispers to me.

"So. Why'd he send you over? Someone coming to pick up something you drop off? Perhaps you aggravated a few too many cops?"
"Neither. He told me to tell you that 'Romeo is running', whatever that means."
"Ah I see. Wait here for me for a sec."

Pete walked over to the back of the kitchen. About three minutes of awkwards standing later, Pete came back to the counter with a guy who was dressed up as a security guard.

"Pablo will take care of you, just follow him."
"Alright, thanks."

I still don't know If I'm walking into a really elaborate trap or if I genuinely got lucky and found an extra generous guy.

Pablo and I walked through a relatively dark corridor.

"So, running from an abusive clingy ex? or an insane stalker?" Pablo asked as he walked down the corridor towards another door.

"The latter. Insane Shortstack killed my girlfriend and her friend at my house about two months ago. She was fighting with some cops the last I saw her."
"Fighting? I doubt you'll need protection for much longer then"
"Yeah, no. She blew up the cruiser that got between us about twenty minutes ago"
"Wait... you're running from her?"
"Yeah..."

Silence filled the air shortly afterwards, it was broken by the sound of Pablo flipping through some keys.

"So, what'd you do to get her that mad at you?"
"I have no idea. She just came to our house as a guest one day and decided to begin her hunt there."
"I see..."

Pablo then opened the door. It opened up to a hallway. There were doors on each side.

"Room Theta. That's where you'll be hiding out tonight. There's a set of keys for Room Theta, and the security door. The room has a shower, a TV, and is fully air conditioned. No windows though, so you don't have any hope of 'touching grass' while you're here."
"Alright, thanks for your hospitality Pablo."
"No problem. Mind if I get your name by the way?"
"It's Ernst. Ernst Fox."
"Alright. Enjoy your stay Mr. Fox."

Before slipping into the covers for the night, I ate the burger in my backpack.