A Brief Briefing

Chapter 8

The night went by rather quickly. I woke up at the end of another terrifying nightmare, and I can't help but worry that that's how my 'comfortable' sleep is going to be going forward.

I got up and looked around. Nothing new.

I turned on the TV and looked at the news. The reporter was covering the incident that happened in the motel I was in the night before.

"Unfortunately, no one has seen the aggressor and the motel where the incident took place caught fire due to currently unknown reasons. The fire is now under control but any evidence left inside is most likely destroyed."

May those poor souls rest in peace...

"The APD is currently working hard to find the culprit. Any and all information on the culprit(s) would be rewarded."

Guess it's a waiting game of sorts now?

"Be advised: The culprit(s) are still at large and the APD is on high alert. The recreational flying of drones and the bearing of firearms is strictly prohibited until further notice."

Just as the news bulletin switched to the obituaries of the known casualties, a knock on the door was heard and an envelope was slid under the door. On the envelope, the word 'SORO' in full capitalization was written. I picked it up and opened it.

"Good morning Soro,

This morning's news report would most likely be covering last night's incident. You may have just watched it, or perhaps it hasn't aired yet. Either way, tempting as it might be, I strongly advise against contacting the police.

I have arranged for your next hideout stay. Unfortunately, they're still fully booked as they're holding the personnel that came back from a covert ops operation, and none of our other hideouts have responded to our hails. You're going to have to run around the city, its outskirts maybe, until two days from now. You'll meet me at Refuge then.

Our observation teams have located Viper and have begun to track her movements. As of writing (0548H), Viper was spotted in the vicinity of the charred motel. The observers report that she has obtained a sling bag of sorts. It's contents are currently unknown.

Alice, the morning shift of the pizzeria on this day will provide you with a basic breakfast. Ask for her as you go to the counter. Eat your breakfast swiftly and leave the location immediately. It is imperative that you LEAVE NOTHING BEHIND.

Wishing you a safe journey. Godspeed Soro.

- Hepe"

Soro... That's most likely the codename they've assigned to me. Hepe must be Randal.

As I slipped the letter into the backpack of supplies, a knock on the door was heard, followed by the chiming of keys.

"Mr. Fox. With your permission, I'm coming in."
"Come in Pablo"

The door was unlocked from the outside and the familiar face entered the room.

"Good morning Mr. Fox. Had a good sleep?"
"I wish I did. I had another nightmare last night, but I still woke up quite rested this morning."
"I see. Have you read the letter that was sent to you?"
"I have, and I'm presuming that I've been assigned the codename Soro."
"Indeed. Are you ready to go?"
"As ready as I'll ever be."
"Very good. Shall we?"
"Sure."

I put on the backpack and walked out of the room escorted by Pablo.

"Ah, I nearly forgot. May I have the keys please?"
"Sure. Here."

I had Pablo the keys that were in the room.