Sixteen

Amazon

With a strange familiarity, Ira walked through the woods and into the clearing, just where he knew it would be. The rest of the Eternals followed him, trusting he knew where to go and when they passed the final row of trees, they all disembarked, moving away from the tight-knit group they had formed whilst gone through the forest.

Ira surveyed the area, ignoring the pain in his heart but taking notice of his surroundings. The cottages he had seen here last had grown and expanded. Lights illuminated windows and the muted emotions he had felt the first time were mostly gone, only fragments of it lingering.

People littered around the sight, walking in time with one another and laughing at something the other had said. The break in the trees overhead allowed for beautiful sun rays to cast down on the ground. The temperature was perfect. Cooler than the hot sauna Ira had experienced while fetching Gilgamesh and Thena and warmer than when they had gone to get Kingo. It was oddly comforting.

There were families and llamas and fires. Everything you would see in a homely village but not in this time no-- It was almost like stepping back in time where things were simpler, just beginning to evolve; a time where technology wasn't the main focus of everyone's attention but family was.

A pair, a mother and daughter greeted Ira in Spanish. "Good afternoon," They had said in passing. Ira watched them go. Their movements were their own, not controlled by anyone else. Ira began to wonder if he was ever so cruel upon their initial meeting 300 years ago or if Druig had just let up and let these people live their lives in the comfort of familiarity but still with the opportunity to develop their own personalities.

"It's very nice here sir," Karun said. He was recording everything with his camera again and given the repetitive glances from the villagers his way, Ira guessed they didn't know what a camera was.

"Don't be fooled," Kingo said. "Ignorance is bliss."

"Hey, We're looking for Druig. Is he here?" Sprite had gone up to a man working but Ira paid her no mind, continuing with the pace he had set, heading straight towards the main townhouse with all the rows of seats. He had a feeling he would find the mastermind behind all of this there, waiting for them as if he had been anticipating their arrival for the past week already. Ira wouldn't be surprised. Still, his chest clenched the closer he got and he found himself unwillingly slowing down, waiting for the others. He was not yet ready to face what he had walked away from so many years ago. Not yet.

"Druig? How do you know him?" The man asked Sprite in response, going back to his work as he turned his back to her.

"We're friends... from college." At the mention of college, the man turned back around, and even from a distance, Ira could pick up on the gold flakes that took over the man's eyes.

"Hello, Sprite." Came the response but it was not the man's voice. It was Druig's.

Sprite took a step back, clearly surprised but Ira just stood there, arms limp against his sides. He had anticipated that reaction, had guessed that the words about college would evoke some sort of reaction from the man.

Around him, the villagers stopped what they were doing and in unison, started coming closer, encompassing Ira in a wide half-circle as they waited for Driug to come out. Ira eyed them, specifically, their eyes. The golden in them was unnerving and the mass amount of them was not at all comforting. He forced his gaze away and shook his head to refocus.

The front doors of the main building opened like the rest of the Eternals joined Ira's side who was already waiting. Out came the figure, cloaked by the shadows that the building offered but as soon as he stepped into the light, Ira immediately recognized the face structure, the curve of the man's lips as he offered the barest smile, almost teasing, almost sincere, and the voice that accompanied it.