Chapter 4

Waking with Hermione in his arms had been the norm with Harry for the last six months, waking with an eleven-year-old Hermione Potter in his arms was totally different yet just as wonderful.

He watched as his wife's large front teeth dug into her bottom lip, informing him that she was not only awake but deep in thought. He pulled her closer to him, "Ok love, spill it before you burst!"

Hermione could only smile at how well her husband knew her, "I was trying to figure out how my parents kept their memories and wondering if anyone else might."

He knew not to offer up some flippant answer when Hermione was in serious mode, "The sorting hat said the 'powers that be' wanted to help us, I don't think they could have helped me anymore yesterday than your mum and dad remembering us being a couple. I had visions of sleeping in the dog kennel in the back garden."

Hermione was giggling, "You know we don't have a dog, far less a kennel!"

"Your dad would have built one for the boy who dared to come near his daughter, bet the roof would have leaked as well."

Images of her dad out in the garden, sawing planks of wood while muttering about 'protecting his princess' had her shaking with laughter, Harry was probably closer to the truth than he thought.

"I can't think of anyone else who could really help us by retaining their memories."

"What about Sirius?" she offered quietly, unprepared for Harry bursting into laughter.

"Can you imagine anyone giving that sort of knowledge to a marauder? It would lead to total chaos, ok our way might lead us there eventually but Sirius or Remus would see it as their duty to muck things up as much as possible just because they could."

Hermione had to agree with him, "The only other person I could think of would be Luna, since we already know Neville didn't."

Harry was thoughtful for a minute, "Did you get a chance to talk with Luna about her time in Malfoy Manor when we were at Bill's cottage?"

Hermione shook her head, "I was still recovering myself and you had just buried Dobby, not one of our better days."

"I spoke to her a little and there was pain behind those lovely eyes, I don't know if it was because her father betrayed us or her experiences at the manor. Knowing who we were dealing with, nothing would surprise me with those animals."

Hermione had his ribs almost squealing in protest with how tight she was holding him, "If that was the case then I hope she doesn't get her memories back, we'll get to know her much sooner and I promise to be a better friend this time."

Harry kissed the tension away before answering, "We both will love."

-oOoOo-

Breakfast time in the Grangers and the four fell easily into their well-established pattern, they had been doing it as a family for six months in Australia, the only difference here was that they now had a snowy owl perched on Harry's shoulder and Hermione fed Hedwig all her bacon.

"Well I'll see our lawyers first thing this morning; get them on to Harry's guardianship and finding a buyer for our practice."

Emma nodded in agreement, "While you're in there I'll check the travel agents across the street for brochures on Australia, perhaps you two could pick up some books while you're out shopping?" she noticed Hermione had her head lowered so not to look at them, "Hermione love, that's not a criticism of you, we really enjoyed our time there in the place you chose for us but we have other considerations to take into account this time. We'll be a family and I would prefer somewhere that had a school for you both nearby, well at least closer than five hundred miles and preferably one we could at least see."