Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Starfall was nearly here.

Arwen had been thinking about it for days on end. Her favourite celebration of all that were observed in Prythian. The years seemed to pass by in a blur, then slowed to the pace of a snail trekking a bridge in the days coming to the wondrous night. Each year, she would hunt down the perfect dress—the only new one she would buy all year round. A marking of another year, another year alive, another year in Velaris. Another year since she had been marked for death with the scars comprising what used to be the smooth skin of her back and a set of glorious wings. Another year since she escaped that fate.

A fate that her mother did not.

It was Cassian this year that she swindled into wandering the Palace of Thread and Jewels since she had spent the night at the House of Wind, staying late to play cards with the same male. Arwen had woken him earlier than he would have liked, swatting her away and informing her that she should take the stairs down if she was that eager. She had no other options. She had not learned to winnow successfully. Rhysand had been down in the townhouse, Mor and Amren had no wings and they could not winnow in or out, and Azriel... Well, she didn't bother asking him though she knew he would have said yes. And though Cassian gave the adamant impression he wouldn't acquiesce her request, after she shoved food in his face, he was more than content to wander behind her aimlessly.

Arwen forced Cassian to stand next to a dress that she held up. Pursing his lips, he looked between her and the fabric. "I don't think it's going to fit."

It was almost humorous the comparison of the dress to his warrior's build. "I'm seeing if it matches your hair," she dismissed, though smiling at his jest. They had the same colour after all, though in the sun hers remained a few shades darker. But now she was being swayed by his deeper set tone of skin. The dress was a dark, royal blue that would fit her form, loosening around her thighs. Turning the dress around, she eyed the open back and pinched underneath her bottom lip with her teeth.

Years ago, that would have been the only type of dress she could have worn. Now not a single dress in her wardrobe would reveal her back.

Cassian yawned, eyes clenching shut and his head tipping back, hair falling away from the frame of his face. Arwen sent him a half-hearted glare and placed the dress away. "You can go," she told him. "I'll have Rhys take me back, or I might stay in the townhouse."

Through another yawn, he said: "You've pulled me down here now. I'm not leaving until you buy me lunch."

"Fair enough," she decided. It had been some time since she forced an apple between his teeth. "You could offer your opinion though." Arwen picked up another dress. "It may make the decision faster."

He pointed at the one she held. "That one. Absolutely that one." She smacked his arm with the back of her hand and though he gave a whine of pain, she was sure it hurt her more than it hurt him. "Damn you, woman. It is a nice dress."

Arwen examined the contents in her hand. It was a darker shade of blue. Midnight blue. With a satin bodice and skirt. But again, it fell into thin straps and an open back. "It is," she agreed, then placed it back.

Cassian sighed. She didn't know if he understood why, but he definitely understood that she had a reason. She guessed that he had an idea since he never actually asked and he was not the type to brush aside his curiosity in favour of privacy.

"I'm only partially saying this for myself, but let's take a break. The dresses won't leave but the bakery will throw out those cheese stuffed rolls or sell them." He placed a hand on her back, guiding Arwen from the store. She deigned to his guidance and brought him two cheese scrolls.