Chapter 110

Chapter 110

He almost didn't come, if only to make his point. It seemed his argument with Arwen last night had made its way to Rhysand who was aloof to Cassian all morning. Both siblings kept everybody at an arm's length except for Feyre. Azriel, who Cassian had delivered the message of suggesting an alternative space to sleep last night, stared at Arwen as they ate breakfast in a common chamber. Not in anger, it took some time to realise, but as though he felt out of place next to her.

"I'm going to entertain myself," said Rhysand, pushing from his chair and whisking away his plate with a flick of his fingers. Feyre stood with him, linking her arm in his. "I'm sure there's someone in this place left to scare."

Arwen tipped her head and gave a shrewd smile. "Have fun. I'm going to head to the city library and see if they have this book Cerridwen told me about." Cassian immediately stood but a harsh look from both Rhysand and Arwen had him pausing. "You're not joining me Cassian," Arwen ordered. "They won't approach me if I'm not alone."

"I can watch from a distance," he bargained. It went against everything inside of him to voluntarily leave her to be bait. "They won't notice me."

Azriel glanced up at him. "You're not exactly an unimposing figure," he muttered.

Cassian's jaw clenched. "I thought you were against this plan. You're happy to leave her off to see what these bastards will do to her to get their way? What if they don't bring her to us as Rhys thinks they will?"

"Why wouldn't they?" asked Rhysand. "They want my attention and they know the way to do it is through m-Arwen." He took a step forward and hung his arms around her neck where she still sat. "They know Feyre is too powerful and she'll be at my side."

"And I'll be at Arwen's," Azriel said, looking still at his mate. Her mouth parted on the edge of contention, but he added, "In the shadows. Unseen. Just to make sure. I'm sure even you cannot oppose that extra line of safety, Rhys."

Rhysand glanced at Feyre, then down at his sister. Arwen angled her head to look up at him in return. "I suppose not," he agreed. "Just keep your hands to yourself today. Cassian, you'll stay with me."

Cassian gruffly crossed his arms. "Fine." Stalking towards the door, he only stopped to lean down and press a kiss against Feyre's cheek, then Arwen's. The latter stored her reaction, or perhaps did not have one to give at all. Resisting a roll of his eyes, he left the room.

~

Cassian's fingers rested loosely on the knife lodged in its sheath at his thigh. Watchful hazel eyes scanned the throne room which was emptier since they had arrived yesterday. It was mainly just Keir's lackeys who were holding a smaller form of court to those who desired to speak with them or their High Lord.

Next to him, Rhysand sat perched on his throne, his head tipped back against the high spine, fingers drumming on the rounded end of the arm. Feyre rested against the other arm, quiet and watchful as Cassian was. He swallowed away the bitterness in his mouth, forcing his trust in Azriel to be enough.

"I could never get bored of it," Rhysand muttered to Feyre. "Sitting on this throne."

Feyre smiled to herself. "It's quite... empowering, isn't it?"

Cassian felt his blood boiling. How could he sit there, smiling and talking? He wanted to believe that it was an act; that they were simply better actors than him and were containing their restlessness.

It didn't help when Rhysand said, "Relax, Cassian. You're doing nobody any good fidgeting like that. You make me want to squirm."

"Good," he snapped, quiet enough to not propel his voice to the people, but sharp enough to get his point across. "You should be squirming. We're in a wolf den right and you've just left your sister to them."