It could be like this every day

Request: "Run away with me." (Guard!Ben Solo x Princess!Reader)

Passing light shines through the blinds, covering the room in horizontal streaks. There's a faint smile on your face and when you turn over in the bed, you realise he's already watching you.

"You're pretty," Ben can't help but whisper, the light catching on your eyes and lashes, "always so pretty."

His lightsaber and guard uniform at their usual resting place, nothing holds Ben down - not when he's with you. You smile wider. The feeling of his hand on your hip is heavenly. He traces gentle words of love with every movement of his soft fingertips. Ben doesn't smile, he seems to be somewhere between deep thought and silent contemplation.

"Come here," you whisper back to him, placing your hand on his strong cheek, "I want to kiss you."

"Shocker," he teases, a toothy grin spreads across his face.

You get to admire his dimples, the lines of his face, the way his lips stretch with joy. There's this rush of feeling that comes to your chest, you can't quite describe or comprehend it. You've never felt it before. Your face falls a little, you tuck a loose strand of his black hair behind his big ear. You repeat yourself, "Come here."

Ben looks at you for a moment. He leans in, eyes falling closed softly when his lips press against yours. You close your eyes too, the distant light from outside now diminished. It's just the two of you and you lament the fact that it won't be like this for long. Morning will come, along with your parents, and life will once again be more than just this moment of bliss.

When you pull back, it's slow and difficult and Ben finds himself turning his head to kiss the palm of your hand. Both your heads resting on the comfortable fabric of the pillows, you just gaze at one another.

Ben wants to kiss you again.
Ben wants to never stop kissing you.
There's something in the back of his brain that reminds him of his duty, of the Jedi way, of the fact that you're a Princess.

When he first discovered his feelings for you, Ben had this feeling that he was one thousand percent screwed. He had made peace with the fact that it would be shitty and unrequited - that is, until you made the first move. Then he was certain he was screwed. He pulls you closer, pushing away thoughts of the future that now surface to his mind.

"I wish it could be this way forever," you admit, your voice is filled with longing.

"It could be." Ben doesn't think. He looks down when he feels you looking at him.

"Don't say that," you mumble back, watching as his lips tremble with the words he's not sure he should say, "we can't think like that."

"Why not?"

"You know why."

"Tell me again," he shoots back, staring into your eyes now, "I need you to remind me," he admits, eyebrows furrowing together slightly as he grabs a hold of your hand underneath the covers, "stop me from making a fool of myself right now."

"My parents would never allow it," you begin, running past the facts he already knows, "My duty to this planet was destined since before I was born."

He sits up, your hands are cold and alone now. The white covers drape around his waist, his hair is unruly. You sit up beside him, watching him face the large windows. Ben stays quiet for a moment longer, giving a small nod. None of the reasons feel adequate, though he knows they should. Princesses don't marry under their status. They don't marry those who serve them. It's not allowed. It's frowned upon. And your parents, Ben reminds himself, your parents are mighty and royal and strick and they'd hate him if they truly knew him. But Ben can't stop his delusions of grandeur that come with wanting a long, loving life with you.

He turns back to look at you, tearing his gaze away from some far away ship, "Run away with me."

"Ben," you speak louder now, your voice no longer soft. He doesn't respond. He lets you sit in the silence that he's created. "It's...You know that I can't."

"Run away with me," he repeats himself, his big, brown eyes staring into yours with desperation and anticipation, "you've said it before; you don't want to live this type of life."

"That doesn't mean I get to just drop it all."

"Yes," he nods fervently, the graces of an encouraging smile on his face, "yes, it does. It means exactly that. You can't live your life for other people."

"You need to sleep, you're tired," you look away from his gaze - it's too much. If you keep staring into his eyes, you'd leave this place and never look back. It sounds appealing, you'd be lying if you said you hadn't thought of it before. But never like this. Never this serious. It always felt like a distant dream, something so far from reality.

"It could be just like this," he continues, he doesn't think his chest has ever felt this heavy and frantic, "it could be like this every day. If it's... If it's what you want then I'd... I'd do anything for you, Y/N. I'd leave everything in the past, I'd live for our future instead. But you can't keep living lies," he shakes his head, lips pressing into a tight line as he leans forward slightly, "you have to live for you."

Your nose feels itchy as the tears build in your eyes, "And when you wake up in ten years and regret ever asking me to run away with you? What then?"

"Don't say that." A flash of hurt crosses Ben's face, he furrows his eyebrows. "That could never happen."

"You don't know that, Ben."

"Why would you say something like that?" He shakes his head at you, incredulous that you'd even suggest something like that.

You just shrug, looking down, "People get tired of me, you'd get tired of me."

"I wouldn't."

"Yes, you would-"

"No-"

"How do you know?"

"I-"

"You don't. You think you want this now but... you can't be sure that I'm what you want."

"I know!"

"No, you don't!"

"I love you." He says. He doesn't shout it. There's no anger. There's just... admission. He makes it seem so simple. "I know that won't happen - because I love you."

You take a deep breath, swallowing the lump in your throat as the tears finally fall down your cheeks, "I thought we had decided not to fall in love."

"How could I not?" Ben asks genuinely, wanting to place a hand on your cheek but not knowing if you'd accept it, "I've been falling in love with you for years. Even if it doesn't make sense and even if it goes against everything we were taught... I want you. I want you now and forever. My love for you will never change." Ben feels like he's holding his breath when you don't say anything. He can feel the rejection setting in his chest. He stands, "You need your rest. I'll... I'll let you think it over. Goodnight, Princess." He turns his head back slightly, before he begins grabbing his clothes.

"Ben," you quickly rise to your feet, staring up at him for a moment, "Ben, I'm... Don't go. I love you. I love you too."

"You're not just saying that?"

"No," you respond quick and certain, stepping forward and taking his hands in yours, "I've loved you for a long time, Ben."

"Yeah?" He asks, eyes scanning your features for any kind of hesitation, "What exactly do you love about me?"

"Shut up," you laugh, rolling your eyes and pulling him closer to you. Ben engulfs you in a hug, letting out a hefty laugh of his own. His skin reaches yours, comforting and warming you as you hold him tightly. "Where are we running to, Ben?"