Chapter 10

"Theories"

Within the hour, Erwin's leg underwent the best treatment it would receive on a boat. Though there was sign of an infection beginning, the doctor claimed that as long as they remained on top of it with techniques to treat an infection, everything would be fine. It meant that every few hours Erwin would need his leg re-examining, which was a bit of an inconvenience when Levi hoped to put Erwin in his place through working and cleaning. Anyways, this was only the beginning of their time out to sea, it would likely heal up and the plan would resume. Levi shook those thoughts from his head, bigger things were at stake here. Things were becoming official, they would make history if they returned to land. The kraken existed and appeared to bring boats down for fun, not to mention its selective nature on bringing boats down lacked a real pattern considering it passed The Colossal Titan as though not there yet targeted Erwin's boat as though in a trance of bloodlust. 

Yet above all of the drama occurring around them, Levi held one thing in his mind - that merman's eyes. Twice now, he'd seen them. Enchanting ... Levi couldn't even compare their colour to anything. Levi wanted to see them again, they almost made him feel safe and wanted. That merman's expression appeared almost full of lust, but thinking that felt stupid. He took a guess that this was simply one of their tricks to lure in pirates, because it sure as hell worked. 

"Captain, are your eyes still hurting?" Zoe snapped him from his trance. 

He blinked and found himself staring at the wood floor with furrowed eyebrows. A bunch of pirates staring at him with interest, including Erwin who slumped in the corner, clinging onto his hat, "No, I'm just distracted."

"In what way, Captain?" 

"Let's return to this," Levi dismissed them all, and none of them argued. They circled a table, preposing theories and a plan on how to continue on with the least trouble possible. 

"So like I said, I don't think the kraken would travel in a giant circle," Zoe began, clasping her hands together. She seemed far too excited about all of this, "it doesn't seem likely because food for the kraken doesn't occur in the whole of this sea, plus there are currents that contradict other ones despite being in the same sea."

"That doesn't mean it can't be in a circle around the island," Erwin told her, having argued with her for the whole duration in this discussion.

"Well it makes more sense than it circling around an island, why would it want to be near land? There's shallower water, no food-"

"But there's people, it might be after us pirates," Erwin interrupted, straightening his back slightly.

"Maybe yes, but that doesn't determine it's pattern since pirates barely come out here anymore." Zoe paused her speaking, as though awaiting Erwin's interruption, but thankfully none came. Perhaps he was coming to his senses.

"It does make sense that it's after pirates, maybe it was too busy hunting food that day is passed us," Levi began to join in on the theorising. 

"That's a good point!" Zoe exclaimed, "it can pass out on a herd like that, they only come a few times a year."

"It's not just about the kraken, it's about the mer-people," Levi spoke again, "they are somewhat near the kraken, it might protect them. But we don't know where they even are yet."

"They seem to like the island."

"That merman was waiting for us, I bet you anything!" Erwin pointed towards Levi.

Levi refrained from some sort of snide remark and instead thought a moment before saying, "Actually, I agree. It isn't that dumb, it knows who we are and it wants us dead first."