Chapter 23

"Goodbye For Now"

The rocky surroundings proved a slight challenge for maneuvering the boat around, but the water soon became low enough for Levi to step out and manually travel closer. Although, he paused in his steps and face the mer-people who already faced him. It was dark now, meaning it was difficult to see things but they could make each other out still. Some of the accessories worn by them glimmered in the moonlight. Now people could be heard above the rocks, not even a cart being wheeled across the road or any ships returning from sea or even just people on a walk. Silence. Not even the birds chirped at this time. The only audible sound came from the bashing waves against the rocky surface, lapping over them with a swishing sound.

"Thank you all for helping me," Levi spoke, though knew it to be rather repetitive from him to them now. They all smiled, even Mikasa a little bit.

"It's okay, Levi," Gisela said with a soft voice, a mothering voice.

They remained silent for a moment, before Eren pulled himself up to one of the larger rocks to sit on. His family glanced at him before Gisela decided to moved them out of sight of the two, noticing the dejected face Eren wore.

"We'll wait for you, Eren," she said, guiding the others away. She seemed in her own mind, keeping an eye up above where the actual town started. At first, Levi believed it to be for caution, but a further study over her allowed him to spot the glossiness in her eyes and tense eyebrows. As though waiting for something to happen, or thinking about something that already had happened. Gisela then moved her look to Mikasa, the emotion merging into a neutral appearance, "Mikasa?"

Mikasa, too, held the same look that Gisela previously owned. Staring up but with more passion than Gisela had, a longing gaze of hope, "Sorry, yeah."

"Are you okay?" Gisela questioned, quiet.

"I'm fine." The words rushed from Mikasa's mouth as she swam away with a rapid pace, giving a nod towards Levi as her goodbye.

"Bye, Levi," Klaus said, following the other two.

"It was nice meeting you. We might see you again?" Mia followed up, also swimming away.

"You too," Levi stated.

They heard the sound of their tails moving agains the water as they swam away until no longer audible, not even words could be heard from them. Levi studied Eren, who focused on the moving water below him that hit his tail. Levi moved closer until Eren couldn't ignore him and had to avert his eyes into Levi's.

"Levi," Eren choked out, his eyes also a little glossy but he fought against it.

"It's okay," Levi gently spoke to him, bringing a hand to his Eren's chin and lifting it, moving his thumb over the front of it.

"I'm sorry," Eren said, his voice cracking more with every sentence, the tears in his eyes threatening to spill any second, "I'm scared to leave you alone."

Eren threw himself forward in Levi's arms, embracing him in one of the tightest hugs Levi ever got to experience. A warm hug, full of genuine emotion and care. His body shook as he sobbed, attempting to silence them. Levi wrapped his own arms around Eren, stroking his body gently and hushing him, placing his head on top of Eren's. Despite the cold and wetness of his hair and body, they produced an internal warmth that Levi couldn't compare to anything. He didn't want to let go and feeling Eren cry against him hurt him on the inside. 

"Eren," Levi whispered in his ear, his lips dragging against Eren's ear as he did so. Levi's finger moved to Eren's face, bringing it up to look at him. Tears were falling down his cheeks from strained eyes and a tense face, but it relaxed at the touch of Levi's hand against it, "it will be okay."