Chapter Ten- Team No Sleep

To @owlsandturtles for her comments <3 Thank you!

        I am pretty sure everything happened so fast. Before I can contemplate on which eyes were they—as if I don't already know—, the person already reached me in a blink of an eye, just as I was attempting to wipe off my small smile. So right now, I probably look stupid with my poker face mixed with a conflicted smile.

        To make up for that, I try to stand straighter and look as cool as my dorky self can be. "I'm going to convince myself that you did that on purpose," I say as I spin the disc on my finger, like, I'm spinning a basketball. I am so cool, am I right? Am I right?

        Well, this is actually one of the very few things I am proud of myself, and that is saying something. I always do this with my notebooks and books whenever I get bored or if I just feel like fidgeting around—consciously or unconsciously.

        "Naw," he says after a while as he shakes his gorgeous, albeit sweaty, head. "I think my disc just likes you."

        Whoa, wait. Rewind please. Did I just hear him correctly? Did he just use the word "like" in a sentence and directed it to me? I know this is because of my selective hearing tendencies but it just sounds so good, I want to hold on to it.

        Also, can the owner of the disc like me too?

        I let out a shaky laugh. "I feel so honored." He then gives off his signature smile, and I feel myself heating up, like the usual. I feel so warm and fuzzy right now that I wish for it to stop. This woozy and giggly feeling I am having right now is definitely, absolutely not good.

        The only thing good in this situation is Jake. And I mean good as in: he looks so good in his Frisbee uniform right now. He still smells so good even though he's sweating—I can smell his faint Calvin Klein perfume, and it makes me recall everything that happened last night. And of course, he talks so good with his deep voice, I can see Adele rolling in it.

        However, as I think of those things, I feel my smile turn upside down because, yes, he is so good—too good to be true, that is.

        "Okay, Garrett," he says. "Well, I need my disc now. Gotta get back on the field." He smiles, and I shrug nonchalantly but inside I'm bubbling up. I hand him his disc, and he smiles again—that stupid cute smile. "Thanks." And with a wink that I didn't expect from him, he starts to turn around back to the field but only after he said, "Nice seeing you here." And then he's off.

        I honestly can feel my knees shaking.

        I stand there for quite a while until I get back to my senses, and shake my head off to refrain myself from acting like an idiot again. I groan, and think that this is so frustrating.

        I let out a tired sigh, and do a 180-degree turn to climb the bleachers where a shocked Red and a teasing April are waiting. I just stick my tongue out at them like the mature person that I am—because hey, what else can I do?— and sit clumsily next to April.

        "We were just talking about how the first group was doing well when we shifted our gaze, and it landed on two familiar people doing things we were not familiar with," says Red in his still-shocked expression as I reach them.

        "Don't you think that sounded a little—I don't know," shrugs April, "green, Red?"

        "Unless you have a green mind, then that's not my fault," he defends himself as he twists his cap a little to the side to give it a more sophisticated look.