chapter twenty-six

TW: mention and usage of guns, police presence, mild gore, mild language

lo-fi, part one of two.

"returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars " - martin luther king.

-

The team had been called in to help on a case in New York. Five victims all shot dead in largely public areas with a twenty-two calibre pistol at noon, but no witnesses to the crime. Video surveillance had captured three of the murders, but the Unsub had studied the layout of their murder sites, and had managed to hide his face from the cameras, leaving the agents and detectives in New York with nothing to go off of. Because of the overwhelming amount of video footage they had to go over of the scenes following the murder, Garcia was travelling with them.

"So it's a joint FBI-NYPD task force?" Rossi asked as the whole team settled down in the seats around the jet.

"It's headed by Kate Joyner in the New York field office. She's running point on the case, she called me directly." Hotch answered, not lifting his head from the stack of files that had been faxed over.

"Joyner. I've heard of her. She's a Brit, right?" Derek asked.

"Dual citizen. Father's British, mother's American. She was a big deal at Scotland Yard before joining the Bureau," Hotch corrected. "She's starting to butt heads with the lead detectives and wanted fresh eyes."

"I heard the can be a pain in the ass," Derek said, studying Hotch's expression as the raven-haired man shrugged.

"I didn't think so."

"You know her too?" Emily asked, as it was Hotch's turn to have everyone stare at him.

"We liaised when she was in Scotland Yard," He said vaguely, causing the team's eyes to all collectively narrow. He was hiding something.

"And you both think she's good?" Rossi asked, looking between Hotch and Genevieve, who looked at each other before responding.

"Like her or not, she gets results."

+++

"Kate," Hotch said, a warm smile on his face as the blonde strode across the bullpen of her office to greet the team.

"Aaron. How have you been?" She returned his smile, her British accent thick.

"Well thanks. Kate Joyner, this is my team," Hotch pointed to each agent in turn, who all sent small waves and nods. "David Rossi, Emily Prentiss, Jennifer Jareau, Penelope Garcia, Genevieve Taylor, Derek Morgan, and Spencer Reid," Genevieve couldn't help but notice how Kate's gaze lingered on Derek, and she stiffened, tapping Derek's thigh and subtly tilting her head in the blonde's direction. Catching onto what she was trying to tell him, he raised his eyes to meet hers, and didn't look away until she did.

"If you need anything, please ask. Don't feel the need to stand on protocol," Kate told them all, plastering a smile onto her face and smoothing down her skirt, clearing her throat awkwardly.

"What can you tell us about the city's surveillance system?" Garcia piped up from the back.

"It's run by the NYPD, it's still in it's infant stages, uh... it's been rather controversial. American privacy laws," She paused to laugh lightly. "But they've had some success,"

"And I'll have complete access?"

"They're already expecting you," Kate nodded, gesturing for one of her agents to lead Garcia to her temporary office.