eins

𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐈 :  JUGENDLICHECHAPTER ONE — ready, steady, go! / could've been worse

𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐈 : JUGENDLICHE
CHAPTER ONE — ready, steady, go! / could've been worse...

september came by faster than i would've liked, eight years ago. summer ended abruptly, and the first day of eighth grade had begun with a raging thunderstorm— with clouds and rain splattering at my windows. it was, of course, just my luck that my first day back at school would have terrible weather. but truly, it could've been worse!

even though i felt dreadfully tired because of the weather ...

it feels like just yesterday it was 2014, and i was miserable, hoping that eighth grade would be my one good middle school year. i did the best i could to snap out of my slump, and i would've closed my eyes and went back to sleep again if it weren't for my brother and caretaker, thoma. he quite literally dragged me out of bed— grabbed my feet and everything! he recently came back from studying abroad in japan— i had to spend most of my summer with my closest friend, barbara pegg, until he returned. i was really lucky he came back just in time for when school started back.

"bennett, ya gotta wake up, buddy! it's your first day of your last year of middle school!" he said cheerily— or— it was something along those lines. he might've said something like "aren't you excited?" too. to  which i probably replied, "of course i am! i'm just tired."

and the worst part about that morning, was that usually i was never tired when i woke.

"don't sweat it, bennett, i know the rain's bad but there's a reason you got me to drive you to school," was probably exactly what he said, in that optimistic and chill tone of his, "also, i made you hash browns. you're welcome!"

and knowing me, i perked up at that, because i love hash browns—  but i also love anything that thoma makes, because he's just awesome at cooking anything, fixing anything, and knowing exactly what to do and how to cheer people up.

our parents used to call my brother 'the fixer.'

he sure holds true to his title, that's for sure.

i got out of bed, and luckily, i wasn't too late in getting ready for school. truly, i just put on any old thing, not caring— i just had to make sure i had a sturdy umbrella and a really heavy raincoat. i also had to pray to god that i wouldn't get struck by lightning. unlucky guys like me should never go out in a thunderstorm.

after eating thoma's awesome and delicious hash browns, packing my backpack and layering myself for the weather,  my brother laughed at my attire.

this i remember well— i had on the biggest yellow raincoat and boots to match, and on top of that, i was wearing a plastic poncho that hung over my eyes.