Black Market

Saturday morning, after a decent night in the officer's chamber, we were again woken up by the siren at noon.

"Would you ladies like to get breakfast", the guard politely asked?

"Amanda responded. The scrambled eggs with ham and potato from last week, were so delicious and filling, that we had to go on a diet. I fear, we have to pass this time."

"What a shame, but I will let the chef know, that the breakfast of last week was delicious."

Apparently, we had adopted some British traditions already.

When we were about to leave, the guard asked: "Would you ladies mind to put yourselves into our guestbook? We are especially interested in our famous guests putting their comments in."

Amanda and I were looking flabbergasted. A guestbook in a prison? Only the British could come up with something unheard of like that. The guard gave us a pen and pointed to the wall inside of the officer's chamber: "If you could put Kilt-cracker and today's date right there, that would be great."

Obviously, I was huffy. I was not so fond of this nickname and it really seemed as the whole battalion already knew me.

Amanda however, put the Kilt-cracker + date on the wall.

"Why did you do that", I barked?

"Revenge, for the 50 suitors", she replied with a smug.

"I did not ask for them", I defended myself.

"But you enjoyed it never the less."

"And so did you! You drank even more of their beers and you danced with them", I fired back at her.

Now, we both pouted.

On our way to the car, I asked a soldier for the way to the officers' mess and that's where I went to and Amanda silently followed. Stepping inside of the officers' mess, I was greeted by the Lieutenant Colonel from yesterday. He was currently waiting for his breakfast: "Good morning Kilt-cracker. Please sit down", he invited us to sit with him, pointing to a chair on the same table.

Please snow white and the seven ugly dwarfs, tell me that this is not true! Tell me that the Lieutenant Colonel did not just call me Kilt-cracker! Well, they did not deny it, so it was true. That moment, I was actually considering to swap places with the Scottish soldier. When I and Amanda set down the Colonel added: "Your piece offering to Private Mac Canna was a very respectable move, after how he had treated you last week." Ok, now I did not wanted to swap places with Private Mac Canna anymore, but my assumption must have been true, the whole battalion knew me. The Colonel asked us the same set of questions the enlisted men had already asked us and after his thirst for information and our hungry bellies were satisfied, he wished us a great day.

Back at the car, I grabbed another cigar and brought it to the Colonel, thanking him for his help with the cigar yesterday. He was quite surprised and grateful.

Back at the car Amanda ranted: "Another cigar for yet another suitor. Enlisted men are not enough for you, you need officers as well?"

"I need to make connections. I need to build up a network of influential men in order to pull off, what General Clay wants from me."

"So that's how you justify to hit on men. Unbelievable."

When we were in the car going back to the women's quarters, Amanda suddenly asked: "What am I to you?"

Pinche, only a woman could ask such a question and I was certain it would get me in trouble. Truthfully I answered: "You are my friend."

"So, I'm just your friend", she grumbled? "After what happened last week, I'm just your friend? You were already avoiding me in the office. I knew it. It's such a cliché."