05 | Interview with @marvelgirl_10

This February, we're excited to have marvelgirl_10 for our small chat session. To know more about her work Believe and thoughts on Neverland, read ahead!

About her: marvelgirl_10 is an ardent avenger fan who considers herself as a loyal hufflepuff

About her: marvelgirl_10 is an ardent avenger fan who considers herself as a loyal hufflepuff. In addition to multiple noteworthy fanfictions on Once Upon a Time, she is also a writer who includes concepts from Guardians of the Galaxy and Spider man universe.

 In addition to multiple noteworthy fanfictions on Once Upon a Time, she is also a writer who includes concepts from Guardians of the Galaxy and Spider man universe

About Believe: Everly Jones lived most of her life roaming the streets of a seaside town and living in a small building overrun by orphans. That was until her path crossed with the infamous Captain Hook, who made her realize she was meant for a life at sea. It wasn't long after meeting the captain of the Jolly Roger when the pirates landed in the waters of Neverland, an island the youngest pirate never thought she'd set foot on. But all that changed when Peter Pan discovered the pirates of Neverland were keeping a secret from. Now, Everly had no other choice than to journey onto the island full of nightmares.

Her favourite Quote: "His games are rigged so only he can win. If you want to beat him, you need to change the rules."

1. How did you first come across the theme of Neverland?

Answer:

Peter Pan and Neverland have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Growing up, I always used to watch the original Peter Pan movie as well as its sequel and adaptions. Like every other kid that watched those movies, I dreamed of going to Neverland. It's still one of my favorite movies to this day and I know it will stay a favorite of mine forever.

2. What was it that drew you to explore Neverland and OUAT as the setting of your story?

Answer:

I immediately fell in love with Once Upon a Time when it premiered back in 2011 and it's still one of my favorite shows. I just love fairytale retellings in general so I automatically knew I'd like the show. Combine that story with Peter Pan and Neverland, which is one of my favorite stories, and it was perfect in my eyes. It took me a few years to build up the confidence to start writing but once I did, I decided that Neverland would be the perfect place to start my Once Upon a Time series.

3. Do you have a writing routine? If so, what does a typical writing day look like for you?

Answer:

I really wish I can say yes to this question, but sadly I can't. With my busy life outside of writing, I don't have spare time to set aside for a daily writing routine. Recently, I've been sitting down on the weekends and choosing one of my current stories then I write a chapter for it. I'm hoping that when my schedule isn't as packed I can create a better routine.

4. What's your most common writing mistake?

Answer:

I'd say my most common writing mistakes are run-on sentences and wordiness. When I get into writing one of my stories, I tend to focus more on getting to the characters' end goals and less on how I'm wording the story that I add way too many words. This also happens when I try to make a chapter longer to get to my word goal. I'm usually able correct this and make my stories easier to read when I edit my chapters but some run-on sentences are still overlooked.

5. If you're given a chance to rewrite the ending of Peter and Wendy, what would it be?

Answer:

I'll be honest, this was a really hard question. It took me a while to figure out an answer but I think the one thing I would change is having Peter stay with Wendy in London. It never sat right with me that Peter was basically left alone to live on Neverland, despite it being his choice. Even as a child, I always liked the idea of Peter and Wendy having a happy ending, so I'd definitely give them one.

• | • | •

If you'd like to read Believe or know more about the author, you can find her at marvelgirl_10

Thank you for reading!