The Library

• Đã dành riêng cho Chloe

The Library

Mrs Abby

It was exactly like stepping into a book, and i mean lying the book down on the library floor and stepping right into it. It was a wonderful feeling, watching the walls of a story build up around me. Pens and papers creating each object with words and scribbles.

It was Mrs. Abby that gave me the power of books. I was at the old people's home delivering Mrs Abby her Monday afternoon Jammie Dodgers. Mrs Abby munched through half the packet telling me about the library and all the books beneath its roof. I smiled as the words danced around my head for the hundredth time.

"Sweetheart, is the Library okay? My library- all is well?" i put down my tea and took her hand.

"Of course, all is well!" she sighed and reached into her dressing gown pocket.

"You have been at the library for...how long now?"

"Two years now Mrs Abby"

"And you like it?"

"Oh of course, I love being surrounded by books, and I am ever so grateful to you for giving me the job"

"Ahhh, that's what I wanted to hear. You my dear, remind me of a younger me, I too spent my teenage years down at that library surrounded by those glorious books"

I grinned as a image of a young Mrs Abby walked across the uneven library floorboards. Rounded glasses and book in hand. The paint fresh and unpeeling, the books less tattered and the place more crowded.

"Here you go dear" Miss Abby said as she slipped a chain into my hand.

"Visiting times are over now sweetheart, I must be asking you to be on your way" I smiled and nodded at Donna before squeezing Mrs Abby's hand. I paused at the door and snuck a Jammie Dodger. Mrs Abby laughed and swatted me on the arm. I left the home and stood outside for a moment. Mrs Abby is a strange old woman but she is like a friend, mother and grandmother all rolled into one.

I uncurled my hand and looked down at the knotted chain, its gold tarnished with time. A little charm hung off my thumb, an open book, the clasp for locking broken. There was words scribbled in gold on the pages, I flipped the book on its front and stroked its spine. There was an engraving at the foot of the book; it read "Each story, a portal to another world"

I smiled and looked into the window, I saw Mrs Abby walk to her room supported by Donna. I unknotted the chain and fastened it around my neck. The book hung low and slightly to the left, it hid under my t-shirt and was cold against the heat.

I headed back to the library and slipped behind the desk. I fumbled in the door and found my ID badge. A few boys came in and logged onto the computers , then a group of older woman came in for their weekly book club. Once the boys had packed up I went and prepared a tray of tea and biscuits. I placed the tray on the table and received a whoosh of cringe iced thank you's.

When I arrived back at the desk a woman was waiting impatiently, her returns being drummed into the wood of the desk. Angry painted nails tapping in-between the cracks on the cover. I avoided eye contact and took her books off her, careful not to be drummed into myself. She tutted and stormed off to the romantic section. I slightly laughed to myself as thoughts graced my mind.

"Hello stranger" I looked up from changing the stamps. Mrs Abby was being wheeled in by Donna. I laughed and put the stamps back in the draw.

"You do know you can take your visits anywhere?" I giggled, coming out from behind the desk.

"She knows that, but nothing keeps this one from her precious library" Donna smiled and patted Mrs Abby on the shoulders.

"I'll be back in two hours" i nodded and waved as Donna swung the door open and left.

"Right you, let's get you into your chair" I said placing my arm under hers. I hauled her up and guided her to the chair in the corner. I folded her wheel chair and hid it behind the door. Her chair has been there since I had been there, even before. Its old and worn away, tartan with flower patchworks. The old legs groaned as Mrs Abby lowered herself into the chair. I stepped back and looked at her. She returned to her younger self, curled up with a book. As her skin grew tighter and younger, so did the chairs.

I went back to the desk to collect George's books.

"So what we going for this week George?" I looked over at the old man with his checked cap and blue waterproof.

"Oh a bit of sci-fi I think, that romantic stuff wasn't for me" I laughed and pointed him to the right bookshelf. George however ignored me and went to his favorite shelf, the romantic shelf. The shelf near the tartan chair. I smiled and began to re-shelf some books.

It was five o clock, the library was dead and empty, George hand finally given up and left Mrs. Abby alone.

"Okay, let's get you sorted, Donna will be here in a minute"

Mrs Abby grabbed my arm and whispered

"Liz, you know you have the power now, the locket and its message" I was about to question her but Donna came in and Mrs Abby's train of thought was interrupted and wrecked, she was bundled back into her wheelchair.

"Goodbye Mrs Abby"

"Goodbye Liz"