The Lion, the Witch and the Portal

The lion, the witch and the portal

I slid the book back  into its box and cut off the electricity. I wrapped my coat around me and ran to the home. It was getting dark and I only had dim street lights to guide me. I slipped down the side and chucked my bag over the wall. I wedged my booted shoes into a crack and hoisted myself up and over the old crumbling wall.

I ducked under the first few windows and emerged at the middle pane of glass. I could see the faint light and hear the crackle of the television. I knocked quietly on the pane and saw a movement in the chair facing away from me. I knocked again a little louder. Mrs Abby gripped the arms of the chair and hauled herself up. She moved over to the window, she pushed it open a frown masking her face.

“What do you want at this time?” she asked.

“I need to talk to you” I said as I dragged myself up and into her room. Mrs Abby helped me down from the window groaning as I laid some of my weight on her.

“Okay, so what’s all this about then?” Mrs Abby set down on the pouffe in front of her. I grabbed the locket and practically screamed into her face.

“It works! It actually works!” Mrs Abby just laughed and squeezed my hand.

“Where did you go then?”

“Winnie the pooh “ I giggled, someone was just given the power to step into any book they desired and they chose to go and see a honey eating yellow bear and his strange human friend.

“That Christopher Robin person isn’t the friendliest is he?” I shook my head as images flashed across my mind.

“So where are you going next?” I looked at her, I hadn’t even thought about it, I was so wrapped up in what I had just witnessed. I wasn’t concentration on the wonders I could witness.

“Here you go” Mrs Abby had dug out an old tattered book from her basket.

“The lion, the witch and the wardrobe”

“Go on then” She prompted, I laid the book down on the floor. I smiled at Miss Abby as I raised one foot. Suddenly the landing light flickered on and we heard Donna's footsteps.

“Quick now out you go...no you take the book...quick now!” I clambered out of the window and hit the floor.

“You should be in bed Mrs Abby” I heard Donna guide Mrs Abby over to the bed.

“There you go now, oh your window is open...do you mind if I shut it? It’s awfully cold and you can get terrible riff raff around here” The window was slid shut, I held my breath to stay in hiding. I got up and waved through to Mrs Abby.

I walked home, my coat wrapped around me to prevent being ripped apart by the wind. I came to my door and shoved it open using all of my weight. The alarm didn’t go off...I thought back too this morning, yeah I left without putting the alarm on and without locking the door.

I put some soup on the hob, oh of which needs good old scrub. Once the soup was hot enough I poured it into the nearest bowl...I think it might have had cereal in at one point...I shoved the pan into the sink...with all the other pans.  I went through to the sitting room, the worn out carpet scuffed under my bare feet. I placed my bowl on a tower of books and settled into the sofa, the broken spring groaned as I leaned back: picking up the soup and slowly lapping it up.

Once I had scrapped down to the bits no one can scoop it up, I placed the bowl back on the tower and fumbled into my bag. I brought out Mrs Abby’s book and laid it down on the battered carpet, next to the wine stains. I grabbed the locket, one foot in front of the other and straight into the book.