Prologue

Book Disclaimer

Copyright ©Horackova84 2022
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form on by an electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review.

Welcome to "Come Closer".
Please comment, vote, and add to your reading list.

This book is for Mature Readers Only.
This book features a dominant male lead, and contains scenes with degradation and sexual content.

Lachlan

The sun hits my face and I close my eyes, taking it in for the first time on the other side of concrete walls in over a year.

Freedom feels really damn good.

A black SUV pulls up to the curb in front of me and parks. I smile as I see my brother Wesley get out and come around to me.

"Lach, I see you spent your time in there lifting weights," he chides, coming to slap hands with me.

Wesley is 6 years older than me and my opposite in almost every way. He got our fathers dark hair and deep brown eyes. He's very clean cut, with short hair, and never has even a hint of a beard.

He went to college and got a Law degree that I'm sure he never expected to end up using to help get me out of jail. He's well respected where we live in Redland, and his wife Glenda comes from a wealthy family that is also full of Lawyers.

He's made a good life for himself despite our upbringing. He escaped all of the filth and crime we grew up around, while I dove head first into it.

"Well I read a couple of books too. All the ones you sent me," I respond, going over to his passenger side door. He looks at me confused. "Don't you have anything with you?" He asks looking at the leather jacket in my hand.

I shake my head. "No. My ID's in here. Didn't walk in with anything else," I shrug. He nods and goes around to get in the car.

We drive for a while just listening to the radio, but as we get closer to his gated community, he turns down the music.

"Listen Lach. I hope you know there's no hurry for you to move out. You can stay with us for as long as you need to," he says glancing over at me.

I nod. My brother has always been loyal to me. He sees me probably as more of a son than a little brother, honestly. Partly because of our age difference, and partly because we practically raised ourselves. Our mom was always gone off with whatever her flavor of the week was. And our dad was too busy doing an array of illegal activities he simply referred to as "work".

"Glenda feel the same way about me being at her castle?" I ask looking over at him. I see him tense, his hand gripping the steering wheel a bit tighter.

Glenda is a living nightmare, and he knows it. He married her in a quickie wedding organized by her parents when he got her pregnant in college. He was swept into the life of Redland elite and his life completely changed over night.

Suddenly his father-in-law, who wasn't impressed at all with him wanting to major in English, suggested he change his course of studies and go to Law school, even offering to pay for it himself. Wesley listened to him, and of course works at his law firm now.

But the only good thing about their marriage, besides his income is my niece, Olivia.

"I'll handle her Lach, you know how she is," he grumbles irritated.

"Don't worry about it man. I've got a place lined up. It's not as nice as the penthouse I had, but Jax says it's good," I say looking back out the window.

I lost the penthouse I was renting after my arrest. I offered to renew my lease that was expiring and pay ahead, but my landlord didn't love the idea of having an ex-con living in his prestigious building.

Or rather, the other rich tenants didn't. He knew what the deal was with me when I first moved in and paid him my first two years rent up front.

In cash.

"Jax?" Wesley says wearily. "You're still talking to him?"

"Of course, but it's not like that Wes. You know he helps me run the bar and barbershops. He took care of everything while I was away. Those are all legitimate," I assure him.

He lets out a breath. "Lach, what we did to get your sentence reduced..they won't be so easy on you next time," he warns.

"There won't be a next time, Wes. You have my word," I say looking over at him. 

"I won't ever be back there again."