The night

"Come on, dude, you always hang out with her," Saul complained.

"She's my girlfriend and it's our anniversary tonight," I stated.

"I just think that you should hang out with your best friend more often. I'm always the second choice to her."

"If you had a girlfriend you would too."

"Well, then your girlfriend would think you're cheating. I have to go, because I'm setting up a surprise for her."

I heard him sigh and hang up, I put my phone in my pocket. I grabbed everything that I needed for tonight. I put it in the back of my truck and drove to my private land, I set everything up. I backed up and smiled, I looked down at my watch and nodded. I got back into my truck and drove to her house, I parked my truck. I got out and knocked on her door. The door opened and her mom poked her head out.

"Evening, Mrs. Simmons."

"Evening, are you here for Bailey?" She asked.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Mom, is Gannon here?" I heard her angelic voice.

"Yep, are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, just gotta get my shoes on."

"Would you like to come in?"

"Um no, I'm good, I'll just wait outside."

She nodded and I watched Bailey come down the stairs. I smiled, she turned to face me and ran over to me. She hugged me tightly and buried her face into my neck, I chuckled and spun around.

"Have her home by eleven thirty and no funny business," her father warned.

"I know, sir."

He nodded and we walked over to my truck, I opened the door for her and she got in. I closed her door and got in the drivers side, I drove to the spot where everything was. It was now dark and the lights were on, I drove past the land.

"You passed it," she pointed out.

"I know, I have to pull in backwards."

She nodded and I stopped, I put the truck in reverse and backed up. When I was in front of the screen, I stopped the truck and got out. I opened her door, helped her out and we walked around back. I opened the gate, we got in and I put the projector on top of my truck. I turned it on and the movie came on. We sat down and cuddled up to each other, I kissed the top of her head as we watched the movie. I rubbed her stomach, soothingly.

"Baby, I'm hungry."

"Ok."

I sat up and reached behind me, I opened the cooler and pulled her favorite food out. I sat it in front of her and she gasped in surprise.

"Thank you, baby." She kissed my jaw.

"Happy anniversary."

"Happy anniversary, I love you."

"I love you too."

I kissed her nose and she opened the container, I'd steal some of the food as we kept watching the movie.

****

The movie had ended and she was almost asleep. She was trying to keep her eyes open and it was so cute. I gently picked her up and placed her in the passengers seat of my truck, I buckled her up. I closed the door, packed everything up and got into the drivers seat. I was driving back to her house, I looked down at the time and realized that it was only eleven at night. I looked back up at the road, I saw a bright light coming towards us. I guess it was really bright because it woke Bailey up, I instantly placed my arm in front of her as the car crashed into us. The car went flying above the other car, I still had my arm in front of Bailey. Protect her, make sure she's safe first, that's all I was thinking at the moment. I didn't care if I was bleeding or had a broken arm. All I cared was that Bailey was going to be ok. 

"Baby?!"

I opened my eyes slowly, she was bleeding from one of her ears and crying. I lifted my arm, weakly, and cupped her face.

"Are you ok?"

"Why are you asking if I'm ok? You're hurt way more than I am."

"What time is it?"

"Eleven twenty five."

"I'm gonna get killed."

"Baby, that doesn't matter right now."

"I love you."

"I love you too. Please don't leave me."

I rubbed my thumb on her cheek and smiled. I heard sirens and saw the flashing lights. I started to get tired.

"I'm tired, I'm gonna rest my eyes for a little, ok?"

"No, baby, you can't. Please don't leave." I closed my eyes and then I saw my life flash before my eyes, then I stopped breathing. "NO! Baby, please wake up! Wake up!"

I love you forever, Bailey Simmons.