Chapter 11: Power

Harry awoke groggily, his blood-red eyes focusing on the sleeping body draped over his own, a small smile on her face. He looked up and let his eyes close again in frustration, imaging that if he was a human, this was the point that he would sigh in exasperation.

Why wouldn't she just let him change her? It was for her own good!

His eyes flicked down to her throat, where the thick, warm blood pumped through her jugular, calling out to him. One simple bite. One simple bite and she would be immortal…

His fangs extended without a second thought and his eyes were unable to break away from her neck as he began leaning down towards it, his stealth ensuring she wouldn't wake up. He pressed the tip of his fangs against the pulse and applied a tiny bit of pressure, but something stopped him.

Just know that I'll never speak to you again.

"Shit!" he said angrily, bolting upright as Hermione did the same, her eyes wide. He had come this close…

"Harry, what's the matter?" she asked, calming down and laying a hand on his arm.

He shrugged it off, stepping out of bed as he sneered down at her. "What do you think is the matter?" he asked rhetorically, grabbing his shirt from the floor and putting it on as he began to walk to the door.

"Harry!" he heard her call after him as she scrambled from the bed.

He kept walking as the heavy door swung open, and he whirled on Hermione just as she put a hand on his shoulder. "Leave me alone," he said harshly, his eyes flaring, glowing. He saw her visibly flinch. "Just…right now, leave me alone," he said a little less demandingly.

He saw hurt flash through her eyes, making the tiniest bit of guilt worm its way into his stomach. He watched her go nonetheless, exuding confusion and sadness.

He stepped out onto the balcony of the throne room, looking out over the covered courtyard, which was packed. Weapons were the main trade, seeing as they were going into battle and all, though some shops sold normal ways to pass the time, such as books.

It had been two days since he and Hermione had confessed their love for each other, and he had held on thus far. The Harry Hermione knew seemed to actually be willing to hand over the reins for once.

"And it's a good thing, too," he said wryly to himself, feeling an ancient, giant power heading toward the castle.

He had actually felt the power the day before, and although he had wished that it had just entered the fringe of his sense and it would soon be passing back out, it seemed to be headed straight for them. Even Harry knew there was no way he could compete with this power.

"You alright there, Harry?" Remus asked from behind him, actually startling him for once. Remus's face scrunched up as he realized the same. "You must be thinking about something serious."

"I know you feel it too," Harry replied as Remus adopted the same pose as him, both of their elbows resting on the low wall. "Everyone but Hermione does. Can't you see and feel how edgy they all are?"

Remus took in a deep breath before letting it out in a long, drawn-out sigh. "Yeah." There was silence for a long while as they watched, then Lupin quietly asked, "If that thing decides to attack, we're all finished…aren't we?"