Chapter 6: Arkham

I didn't think it was possible. I've never broken anyone out of Arkham before. Except for Jonathan but that was when I was lesser known. Three years ago. It doesn't feel so long ago. Harley, Joker, Killer Croc, and I all piled into the van and waited for Catwoman. As soon as she flipped through the back, we drove off. We had gotten back to their hideout when I found Jonathan waiting there for me, smirking. It was as if he knew something I didn't. I told everyone else I would see them later and they agreed. Waylon actually hugged me.

Harley hugged me as I began to walk away, "By the way, Sweetheart," she chirped in my ear, "Happy Birthday." The thought dawned on me. I hadn't even realized what day it was. This is also the first I realized how young I am compared to the rest of my colleagues. Except for Harley though. She's only a few years older than me.

"Thanks Harls. I'll see you. Behave so you don't get hurt okay?" I looked at her worriedly.

She knew as to what - or more like to whom - I was referring to and nodded solemnly, "You know he loves me, right Roni?"

"Yeah I know Harley. I know. Just remember something for me," I whispered in her ear, "you ain't weak." I spoke, imitating her accent.

She giggled and let me go, "Love ya Lacuna! Happy Birthday!" She skipped away and laced her fingers with Joker's.

I turned to face Jonathan and he led me into the car. He started driving and I smiled at him. Whenever I go on jobs like this with the girls or anyone else, I hide my accent. Only Jonathan knows of my past and even then it's only where I'm from. He's the only one that knows of my accent as a result. "Hello, Jonathan. Thank you for coming to pick me up. I could have stayed-"

"It's too dangerous." He retorted.

"What?"

"Batman heard about the breakout. I'm going to call Joker when we get back home. That hideout is the first place Batman will go. I couldn't leave you there and risk you not getting away in time. The heads at Arkham put a tracker on Joker and Waylon. Just under the nape of their necks. You have to call Harley now and tell her to get the Sirens out of there as soon as possible. She may be able to warn the Joker sooner, before it's too late." Jonathan explained.

We arrived back to the house and I pulled out my disposable cell to call the hideout main. "Hello?" Harley's voice ran through.

"Harley! Quick, get Ivy and Catwoman out of there as fast as possible. The Asylum put trackers in the guys' necks, Batman is on his way." I explain in a rush.

"Where should we go?" Harley asked, her voice poisoned with fear. I heard her explain the situation to someone and the Joker yelled in frustration.

"Jonathan! Where-"

"The girls would have to zip around Gotham for a while to lose Batman but they can come here. The guys will have to call once the trackers are disposed."

I repeated the plan to Harley and she relayed it to Joker. I heard a crash over the line and Joker yelling at Harley to run. Then silence. "Harls? Harley? HARLEY?! HARLEY QUINN?!!!"I screamed, not even worrying about hiding my accent. I froze and dropped the phone and for the first time, I cried. Jonathan looked stunned and pulled me close. Harley is my best friend. She's my only friend besides Jonathan. Harley Quinn is the closest thing to a family I have. "If she is sent back to Arkham, I'm going after her."

He kissed my forehead and my sobbing subsided, "Okay Roni. And if she's-"

"She's not. She won't. It's Harley. Harley Quinn survives the Joker. Harley Quin can survive anything."