Picture Perfect

-chapter 15-

Consciousness takes me in gentle hands as my eyes ease open. My first thought is that I had just had the best night's sleep of my life, even if it was on the edge of my incredibly thin bed pad.

On the edge of my bed pad...

I drape my arm to the right, expecting to feel the soft skin of Jinx's torso beneath me- instead, there's only empty air as my hand meets the blanket. I shoot straight up, eyes darting around the room to the sight of absolutely no one. Sevika's bed being empty makes perfect sense, of course- she always does morning runs at the asscrack of dawn. But where is Jinx?

I stand up abruptly, not bothering to pull on real clothes as I rub my eyes. Right as I reach for the door knob, a loud bang rumbles through the shack. The sound of metal colliding with the floor snags my attention and wipes any clouding from my vision as I throw the door open.

"Ji-" My words are cut short at the sight of our small kitchen area.

First of all, there's Jinx- I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. Only then do I realize the state of the room, and my eyes widen exponentially.

What looks like broken eggs and some sort of batter litter the countertops and floors. I look up, and- I shit you not- a half cooked pancake sticks halfway to the ceiling, as if Jinx had attempted to flip it in midair and underestimated her strength a bit. Jinx herself is absolutely covered in flour, and pans burnt with some sort of mystery food sit discarded beside the stove. A smell something like burnt eggs wafts through the air, and I almost scrunch my nose at the aroma until my eyes land on her once more.

Jinx stands in the middle of the chaos, her newest burnt pan still in hand and smoking something horrible. I see she's luckily cracked open the small window above the sink, and the dark smoke is drawn to it and wafts out of it. Her hair is still unbraided, but messy and unbrushed, sitting in a comically large bun at the top of her head. Only a few pieces fall out, covered in what looks like more of the batter on the counter as if they had fallen in what she was making. Her face is a picture of awkwardness, yet eagerness, her mouth halfway upturned in a nervous smile with eyes large. Jinx bats her eyelashes at me innocently.

"Good morning! Uhm..." She glances around the wrecked kitchen one more before looking back to me, wincing and quite obviously terrified of my next words. "Are you hungry?"

I cover my mouth and look down at my feet, shaking my head and trying with everything in me not to laugh.

"W-what's wrong?" Jinx asks, her voice crestfallen. My lips curl up behind my hand, and I can't stop myself from giggling at this point. "Hey..." Her lips quirk up just slightly at my amusement.

I can't help myself- My hands fall to my knees as I keel over, laughing the hardest laugh I had in a while. "Were- were you trying to make- breakfast?" I choke out between fits.

Jinx looks down, her face growing redder by the moment. "Yeah..."

I only laugh harder, nearly falling onto the floor to join the mess of batter and raw eggs. It takes me a minute to recompose myself before I finally straighten, stray giggles coming from my lips. Jinx's mouth upturns in the ghost of a smirk, hardly noticeable- but after a while of studying that face, I know when it's there. The same girl that I brought home the night before, and who had brutally murdered someone on my behalf, now stands in front of me covered in batter rather than blood and looking like an entire idiot. She's adorable.

"As much as this looks great-"

"Shut up." Jinx snaps playfully, interrupting my sarcasm. I only smile back and continue.