004. 𝐈𝐍𝐕𝐎𝐋𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐘 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

I PULL my backpack over my shoulders, tightening it slightly and venturing out into the streets of Alexandria. I ambled toward the community's large wall, the same wall that I had climbed up countless times. I began scaling the wall, using two small poles that I stuck in between the metal fixtures on the wall.

Jumping onto the leaf-covered ground, I land on the balls of my feet. After adjusting any misplaced clothing, I begin walking into the forest, knife in hand. As I weave through the abundance of tree trunks, I walk heel-toe to avoid crunching the leaves beneath my feet.

Apparently, whoever was following me didn't have the same curtesy, clomping obnoxiously loud behind me. To avoid making it obvious that I know their presence, I take a sharp turn to the left and speed my amble to a brisk walk, looking at my surroundings before stopping in front of a tree. I place my hands on a branch lying closer to the ground than the others, swinging my leg over onto it. After balancing myself onto the shaky branch, I inhale deeply before taking a jump of faith, launching myself towards another, more steady looking offshoot.

Finally resting upon a sturdy tree branch, I glance around for my stalker. When my eyes fell on a borderline comically large hat, I rolled my eyes.

Carl.

He seemed incredibly lost, his head on a constant swivel and his grip tightened on his knife. Adjusting my body on the branch, I lean forward to see him walking around aimlessly, "Looking for someone?" I call out, watching as Carl turns around quickly, his eyebrows furrowing when he doesn't find me.

"Found her." He responded simply, and I move out of his sight when he looks upwards in the trees.

"Why are you following me?" I ask, biting my lip nervously as I glance down at the boy.

"Who says I'm following you?"

"You can't answer my question with a question."

"Just did."

I sigh at his stubbornness, "You should go back. Your dad's probably wondering where you are."

"Your brother's probably wondering where you are." He twists my own words against me. The mere mention of Noah searching around, worried for me, makes my heart drop. Noah's probably been wondering if I was alive since we got split up, just like I had been doing for him, and now that he finally finds me — when we finally find each other — I go wandering into the forest. Maybe Carl's right. Maybe I should go back.

Wait, what? Don't let this dweeb get in your head, Cher. He should be back at Alexandria, too. He's not any better than you right now. What he needs to do it get off of his high horse.

"He'll live." I say, tightening my grip on the branch and waiting until he turns around to drop on the ground. The leaves crunching from the impact of my weight must have alerted him of my presence, because he swiftly turns and looks at me blankly.

"Then my dad will, too." He responds.

"Are you always so snippy?"

"Are you always so evasive?" His eyes burn holes into mine, expecting an answer, but evidently concludes he won't get one when I sigh and turn away. I walk off deeper into the forest, listening as Carl's loud footsteps follow me.