Spending Time Together

I had just finished a mission, Master Shinobu said I could kill time in the north village after my mission. She said I deserve it but, what was I supposed to do?

I stood in the middle of the road to think about how I should spend the rest of my day. I had came out to the village during the night on Master Shinobu and my Kasugai crow's instruction to slay the demon lurking here. Maybe I should start by looking for an inn to get rest? No, I don't necessarily feel sleepy or tired yet.

For a while I walked around the village, thinking long and hard about how I should spend the day. Honestly, I was already killing time by thinking about it.

"Ah-! Kanao, is that you?" I heard a familiar voice behind me, that excitedly called for me. It was Tanjiro, I hadn't seen him since the day he helped me follow the voice within my heart.

 Undeniably, it was obvious I liked him more than words can explain. Whenever he was around I felt fuzzy and nervous, which has never happened before.

Should I greet him? Or should I silently wave and smile?

"Did you just finish a mission? I had a mission around this area as well!" Tanjiro exclaimed before I could decide. 

I smiled and nodded, "Master told me to spend my time however I wanted." I explained to him.

"Is that so? I have free time now too, so lets go get a bite to eat at a nearby udon stand!" Tanjiro said with a happy smile, and urged me to follow him. Which I did, but I made sure to keep my distance. I was told Tanjiro has a good sense of smell and can actually detect feelings from this talent of his, and if he knew how I felt right now...

"Here have a seat, what would you like?" Tanjiro asked me, after I sat down on the bench near the udon stand. 

"I'm fine with anything- Er, actually I'll have whatever you have." I said, it didn't really matter to me but, I was curious what Tanjiro would get. I want to know more about him and what he likes.

"Sure!" He happily exclaimed, for some reason he sounded even happier, like he was proud of me... why was that? "Excuse me sir, may I please have two bowls of yamakake udon?" Tanjiro said enthusiastically to the man running the stand.

"Of course, are you two on a date?" The man asked while getting prepared to work on our order.

"-!" I felt my face flush up and without thinking I turned to Tanjiro. We accidentally made eye contact, his face was redder than his eyes-! I felt hot steam rise from the top of my head as I turned away from his gaze, my heart was pounding rapidly.

"Ah, young love." The man said, he chuckled and continued making udon.

~~~~

I slurped up my noodles and took little sips from the soup, it was really good. I smiled to myself, next time I'd remember to order it again.

"How's it? Good? Take your time!" Tanjiro smiled kindly, I looked at his bowl which was already half finished while mine was still fairly full. I nodded in response and smiled, I continued eating slowly making sure to enjoy the bowl of food and savor it. I still felt Tanjiro's eyes on me, should I ignore it? Was it normal for someone to watch you while you ate? I looked up in curiosity, I noticed Tanjiro quickly looked away, blush forming red enough for me to see on his ears. I quickly returned to eating and pretended I didn't see what just happened, that didn't stop me from thinking about it though. Why was he watching me? Was that blush from embarrassment? 

Later, things grew less awkward between us and Tanjiro had finished eating and started talking about his missions and training progress with Inosuke and Zenitsu. It was fun to listen to his stories and experiences with the two and their close relationship. Soon enough, I finished my food, I was surprised that Tanjiro didn't grow impatient waiting for me to finish. He did sound like he had lots of fun telling me his stories though, so I'm sure he didn't mind. 

"How about we have some rest? I'm pretty tired myself. Lets go to an inn nearby, that way Nezuko can sleep comfortably too!" Tanjiro beamed, and smiled brightly at me. I nodded, and smiled myself, the sun was still out and it wasn't late yet but I haven't gotten any rest and I'm sure Tanjiro has been out all night too.

~~~~

We made it to the inn, it was a standard inn run by a couple at the village for travelers. We got the large room that could have four people in one, so each of us had plenty of room for a futon of our own.

Tanjiro gently placed Nezuko on her futon to rest, "Goodnight Nezuko, get lots of rest." He said to her, I kneeled beside Tanjiro who smiled upon his younger sister. I looked at Nezuko, at first glance she doesn't look like a demon, just a young girl with a bamboo muzzle. Somewhere in my heart, it hurt to know that she had become a demon at such a young age.

"Kanao, are you tired? I can lay out a futon for you!" Tanjiro offered, I smiled but shook my head

"Thank you, but no thanks. I'm going to get a breather outside the inn." I said, getting up to leave.

"Okay, stay safe!" Tanjiro sent me off, and I walked out of the room leaving the siblings alone.

I sighed, as the fresh air hit my face giving me a chill of relief. Suppressing my feelings was easy before, I didn't even have to put in effort to hold my true feelings back. But whenever I'm around him, it seems impossible to keep cool.

What if he already knows how I feel? What if he never finds out? What do I do if he does know how I feel? What if he feels the same too and I never found out? What if-

"Hey, little girl, you alone? Why don't you come over to my place? Hic, I promise I'll be nice! Hic-" A young adult man rested his hand around my neck and on my shoulder. He reeked of alcohol, his face was bright red too. I felt sweat run down my cheek, which made him grin even wider.

"Great! Don't worry I'll take great care of you... hic-" He smiled, but it didn't make me feel warm. His hand crawled away from my shoulder, and rested on my waist. I felt a cold chill down my spine and my uniform stuck to my back using the sweat forming on my back. What should I do? Should I hit and run? Or should I stay silent? My coin, I need to get it-

"LEAVE HER ALONE-!" The man that was beside me was now lying in front of me in pain. Anyone with ears could hear that he'd broken a bone. I felt a hand hold me gently, yet I could tell that they were full of rage as well.

"I don't want to tell you twice. Leave her alone and scram. She obviously doesn't want anything to do with you, drunkard." The voice was chilling and cold, like a knife to your heart.

"Ngh-!" The man immediately fled, holding on to his stomach. He must've broken a rib.

"Kanao, are you okay?" The voice was softer, it was Tanjiro's voice! Surprised I turned quickly to face him, his expression was soft despite the chilling words he'd said to that man.

"Mhm-" Then I saw it, his uniform shirt was unbuttoned halfway and I was directly facing his bare chest. I felt my face immediately boil up and redden, as I quickly covered my embarrassed face behind my hands.

"-! S-sorry!" Tanjiro's face flushed up as well and he quickly let go of me and buttoned up his shirt faster than the speed of any thunder hashira to ever have existed.

"How did you know I was in trouble?" I asked remembering that his timing was too good to be true.

"Ah-! Actually on our way in the inn I spotted many men alike the one from earlier all drunken. I was worried that you would run into one and I'm happy my intuition was correct!" He smiled warmly, "Don't worry Kanao, I'll definitely save you again if it were to happen once more. You don't even need to ask I'll be there!"

I smiled, fluttering at the sound of his sweet words, "Yeah, thank you. And, and thank you for spending time with me."

"Maybe we can spend time together again like this next time, it's a promise Kanao!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

YESS! First oneshot done! It took me lots of time to finish this one, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! Hope you enjoyed :D

Words: 1519

NoNamedJes