after (epilouge)

⌌⊱⇱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊰⌍

after

The sun cast golden hues over the land as it began to set, dipping slightly below the enormous parapets and spires of the towering castle that stood grandly at the center of Camelot. Though the day's work had ended, the activity of the evening had only begun, as people spilled into the streets and onto the castle grounds, talking excitedly amongst themselves.

In the days following the battle, the wounded had been treated – the dead buried and mourned. There were far fewer dead than most had anticipated, miraculously – their numbers cut short by the amazing light that had swept through Camelot in rumors and stories that would soon become myth. George had become a legend in his own right. And now, Camelot was safe, its citizens returning to their homes, a buzz of excitement in the air.

Tonight, there was to be a feast.

"A feast," the head cook complained bitterly, amidst the chaos of the kitchen. "Less than a week after the castle was nearly destroyed."

"But it wasn't destroyed," his assistant said with a grin, her hands and apron dusted with flour. "That's why there's a feast."

"Still. King Clay could have given me a little more time to prepare," the cook argued back, but he wasn't truly angry. Nobody was. Celebrations were being held across the entire city- across the entire kingdom, really - and the joyous atmosphere was hard to resist.

The war with Mercia was over, and Camelot was safe.

"Woah, woah, woah," Bad said, rushing across the Great Hall. "Sapnap, get down from there. Oh, my goodness."

"What?" Sapnap asked from the top of the ladder, where he was helping pin up decorations on the ceiling. "I'm helping!"

"You literally just got stabbed," Bad worried from the floor, holding onto the bottom of the ladder as though to steady it.

"I'm already better, Bad," Sapnap said, but when he leaned up a little higher to try and pin the garland, he had to hide a little wince at the stretch in his chest. "Ow. Okay... maybe these healing potions aren't an instant fix."

"That's literally what they told you," Bad said, but when Sapnap reached the ground, he just gave him a small, relieved smile as other people bustled around them, busy with preparations.

"I don't know if I thanked you," Sapnap said, suddenly looking embarrassed. "For helping me during the battle."

Bad gave him a look. "Sapnap," he said dryly. "No offense, but you are very dumb if you think you have to thank me for making sure you don't die. Give me a little credit as a friend, here."

Sapnap laughed and slung his arm across Bad's shoulders. "I do, Bad. I do."

"Can you believe we can't go to the feast?" Tommy grumbled from Mercia.

"I don't think it would be very proper," Tubbo said cheerfully as he continued washing dishes. The two of them were living in the Mercian castle, now; with the Circle effectively disbanded, Wilbur had taken charge of the country for the time being, and possibly forever.

"Oh, whatever," Tommy said, leaning against the wall and watching Tubbo do his chores. "Wasn't very proper for us to help them, either. Might as well get in on a bit of the fun."