Chapter 1

During the spring of my last year in middle school, I met a girl who added colour into my monochrome world. She was beautiful in every way. She was a lively girl who liked Canelles, played the violin and was a little violent when things didn’t go her way and a bit of a brat at times. Yet, this was what made her my first love. It was a spring that I would never forget for the rest of my life.

***

It was Spring again. Kousei sat in the car silently next to Tsubaki as Hiroko-san drove him from the Airport. It was his final year in High School before he would finally take off again to yet another overseas competition where his rivals, Emi and Takeshi were waiting. He could almost hear the both of them swearing to beat him this time.

The wind gently blew the cherry blossoms off, creating a mesmerising scenery.

“WAAAAAAAAAHHHHH,” Tsubaki said with her eyes sparkling. “The cherry blossoms are so pretty.” Kousei gave a little chuckle as he realised that Tsubaki was still the same girl he knew when they were children even though they were pretty much adults at this point. Yet, Tsubaki had really changed from the little girl he knew. She had long hair now and there was a feminine charm about her that wasn’t really there before. Was it her eyes? Or was it the smile he never really quite noticed before? Well, she certainly had more womanly features now as he eyes drifted a little off course.

“Kousei, what are you looking at?” Tsubaki asked before covering her chest and blushing a little. “Koooo… Kousei, you pervert!” Tsubaki raised her leg and kicked him in the face.

“Ah… She thought I was a pervert as well the first time we met,” Kousei thought to himself as he rubbed his swollen cheek. He looked at Tsubaki who was puffing up her cheeks and folding her arms, not willing to look at Kousei.

“OI, can the two of you stop flirting in my car?” Hiroko teased as she looked at them through the back view mirror.

‘Tell him to stop being a pervert,” Tsubaki yelled at the top of her voice.

“I wasn’t really looking... “ Kousei explained as he realised the car drove past the place of his first meeting with her: the playground. The playground was just as he remembered it. It was a miracle that they didn’t demolish it.

“Sorry, Hiroko-san. Could we make a short stop here?” Kousei tapped the driver’s shoulder.

‘Oh. Yeah, sure.”

Kousei stepped out of the car and walked towards the entrance playground. The cherry blossom tree swayed in the gentle breeze as the petals fell all around him. It seemed almost like yesterday when he met her.

Kousei walked past the entrance where he first found her shoes and spats on the branch of a nearby shrub. Kousei saw the dome-like playground and he swore he could hear her music being played once again.

“Yeah, it really is beautiful,” Kousei whispered as images of a blonde girl emerged in his head. “Were the cherry blossoms in full bloom like this when I first met her?”