Chapter 2

The pain is his head was throbbing. This was definitely real. This was reality. The pain was proof wasn’t it?

Kousei’s mother was about to raise yet another hand against him but was stopped by a much younger Hiroko this time. Kousei slowly backed away and dropped the scores in his hand. This wasn’t possible. This was a dream, wasn’t it?

Kousei looked at his hands. Were they always this small? This must be a dream. There is no other explanation.

“That poor kid…”

“This borders on child abuse, doesn’t it?”

Kousei turned his head towards those whispers. This was exactly just like that time. That time where he cursed her. Kousei shook his head and started to run. His legs seemed to have a mind of their own. Out the door he went. Lightning cackled in the distance and raindrops started to fall as he left the building. In the distance, he heard Hiroko calling out to him.

“This can’t be happening…” Kousei ran as he tried to wipe the tears from his eyes. He slipped on the pavement and landed face first on the floor. Kousei picked himself up and dusted himself off.

“Kousei!!!” Hiroko’s voice rang out. As if by instinct, Kousei looked around desperate for a place to hide in.

To his left, was the playground where he first met Kaori. To his right, was the main road. making his decision, Kousei ran towards the dome-like playground and hid in there.

“Kousei!!!!” Footsteps came and went as Kousei tried to calm himself down. Through one of the holes in the dome, he peeked out to check if Hiroko was still there.

There was no sign of her anywhere but what caught Kousei’s attention was his reflection in a puddle of water near him. In it was a reflection of his twelve-year-old self.

“EHHH?!?!”  Kousei fell back and hit his head against the wall of the dome.

”Owwww…”  Kousei gripped his head. Rubbing the swelling, he looked at his other hand. How small were they when he was at this age?

“I am in the past? How is that possible?” Kousei tried to retrace his steps. “I was playing the piano… then, I ended up here? This doesn't make any sense?!?!” Kousei screamed.

“What doesn’t make any sense?” a voice said.

“The fact that I am here in the… EHHHH?” Kousei jumped back at the sudden reply to his question. He turned around to find a familiar face looking back at him.

He had just seen her hours ago. But here she was, albeit much younger and sporting a much shorter haircut.