Epilogue

╔════⁎⋯☽✧✦✧☾⋯⁎════╗

Chapter 32
Home for the Holidays

Volume 3: The Titan's Curse

╚════⁎⋯☽✧✦✧☾⋯⁎════╝

Pallas loved visiting the Randolph's. Their house was two stories and had a basketball net nailed above the driveway, the backyard had a garden, and more than anything, it felt just like the warmth that the family living inside exuded.

When Argus dropped them off, Pat ran for the front door. He knew the driveway perfectly—including where his step-brother always left his bicycle—and he jumped the two steps of the front porch. Pallas jogged after him as Pat pounded on the front door.

It took a minute, but Warren opened the door. He looked as exhausted as Pallas felt.

"You ripped up your jacket," Warren said, but it meant I love you.

"A car exploded," Pat said, but it meant me too.

They hugged each other as tight as they could. Pallas watched from behind them and waved when Warren opened his eyes long enough to look at him. Warren pulled away and called behind him, "Harley! Pat's back!" He pulled Pallas in by the arm of his coat, "You two get in here where it's warm."

Warren poured them water as Pat reunited with his step-mother. He pulled her into a hug strongly enough that she fell, but Pat continued to hold her while she was on her knees. Harley frowned, "Are you okay, Pat?"

"I missed you, Mom," He muttered. Harley held him until he pulled away on his own.

The four of them sat in the dining room with their glasses of water and bowls of pretzels. The Randolph's greeted Pallas, but Warren was anxious for details. As he wrung his hands, he asked, "So? Did you save Annabeth?"

"Yeah, yeah," Pat nodded, "She's fine. So is Artemis. I..." He drummed his fingers nervously on the table, "Percy's fine too. I saw, er, Aphrodite too."

Warren turned awkward at that. He looked down at his water, "Good?"

"Bad."

"Sorry." Warren said, and he left it at that.

"Pallas saw his dad though," Pat's drumming sped up and slowed down, on and off, "He...uh—I don't know how to explain this. He gave me his blessing."

Harley blinked, "What does that mean?"

"Uh...a lot of things." Pat simplified.

Warren pursed his lips the same way his son did. He said, "I...I know the monsters are inevitable, Patty, but the Gods are another thing."

"I can't exactly give it back," Pat muttered.

"I-I know," Warren frowned, "It's just...dealing with them is more dangerous than fighting a hydra, okay?" It was probably the smartest thing Pallas had heard a mortal say. Pat only nodded.

"David will be so happy you're home," Harley said, "He's been hunting for where we hid your presents."

Pat smiled quietly. He took a sip of his water, then sighed, "Yeah, yeah. I think we'll catch up with David later though, okay? We're both just...really tired. Fighting the titan Atlas and all that."