Settling an old feud

Despite the larger amount of work, Kobayashi and Hutch still managed to finish it all before it became too late at night. The two co-workers left the office with the usual enthusiasm.

"My arms are sore. I just want to flop on my bed." Kobayashi complained, noticeably tired from her day.

"And it's not even the end of it all. There's still that... thing at your house you have to take care of." Hutch pointed out the grim reality of this day, to Kobayashi's exasperation.

"I didn't need to be reminded of that. Well, at least tomorrow's Sunday, I can afford to suffer a bit more."

"I don't mind helping out. I didn't pay you back for what you did for me." Hutch inquired, which got Kobayashi thinking before she responded.

"How many time do I have to say it? There's none of that between u..." Kobayashi interrupted herself as she turned to her old friend. This dreamy face contrasts with the jovial persona she got so used to know. She never saw him like that and even grew to think nothing was able to get to him. She quickly changed her tone to adopt a more serious conversation.

"That girl, Tohru. What's your story with her?" While she was far from understanding the whole story, Hutch seemed to be very involved, and she needed to understand the wild situation she was thrown in.

"How good are you with long stories?" Hutch asked, not taking a second to look Kobayashi in the eyes and focusing on his walk.

"I'll manage. Don't worry about me." Kobayashi dismissed the concern with a wave of her hand.

"Alright then." Hutch stops walking and kneels on the ground, looking at his friend. "This is that long of a story." He states, waiting for a response.

"I'm almost entirely convinced you have an ulterior motive. Not that I dislike it." Kobayashi smiles lightly before taking upon the offer. "So, where do you both stand?" Kobayashi questions, and as she gets lifted up for the rest of the road, Hutch obliges.

"If I were to say it in a single world. We are enemies."

"Do you dislike her?" She questions, being more lost than she was at the beginning

"Not in the slightest. As far as dragons go... she's actually bearable. She does burn cities from time to time, but strength catches her attention. So it makes it very easy to protect vulnerable people. "

"So... what is your issue with Tohru then?"

"The fact she's here really. Dragons are a greedy kind. And she seems interested in you for some reason. And you know the story of dragons and human women."

"Sounds like you have some prejudice against dragons." This answer piqued Kobayashi's interest. She felt like she had to probe a bit better

"I would love to see even a single dragon who isn't driven by greed and destruction!" Hutch raised his voice, seemingly irritated over this discussion. Kobayashi decided to not ask any more questions on this sensitive topic.

"So you're saying that she wants me. But why me? I'm just an office lady."

"Well, you're reliable, friendly, fun to be around, ado-" Hutch got cut off by his workmate hitting him on the top of the head.

"I've hit my daily limit of flirting. Please keep the rest of it in your head."

Hutch laughs a bit before resuming the conversation. "Can't come up with anything else. You have no other choice than to admit you are desirable."

"Even in a world full of dragons, this is the most outlandish thing I've heard! Well, I'll just ask her once we get here."

The serious conversation ended on that note and the transition to more lighthearted subjects was well on its way. By the time they arrived to Kobayashi's house, the whole dragon thing was a long gone memory.