Capitulum Octavum

Ron and Hermione had ended up resorting to pulling Harry out of the hospital wing for dinner. They hadn't asked any questions about what happened which meant they were waiting for Harry to bring up the topic or had already talked to Professor Dumbledore about it. Knowing Ron and Hermione's curiosity and persistence better than most, Harry chose the latter.

Throughout the journey to the Great Hall, Harry heard Ron and Hermione go on and on about the arrival of the two schools last night, the Goblet of Fire which was going to be selecting the champions, those who had put their names in the Goblet, along with those who had attempted but failed such as Fred Weasley, George Weasley and their friend Lee Jordan. Apparently an age line had been placed around the Goblet and all of those who weren't seventeen yet found themselves wearing exceptionally long white beards. Harry could barely hold back his laughter when he heard that. Fred and George had been so certain they could have fooled Professor Dumbledore on entering.

"Well, I guess that means Angelina Johnson is the best chance for Gryffindor," Ron said as they entered the Great Hall. It was still fairly empty since dinner wasn't for another hour yet. Angelina was a Chaser on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. "Better her than that Diggory bloke. I still can't believe you think him entering is a good idea, Harry. He nearly killed you last year."

Harry bit back his annoyance as he sat down at the Gryffindor table with Ron to his right and Hermione to his left. "No he didn't," he said desperately trying to hang on to his patience. "What would you have done, Ron, if you had been in his shoes? I had a Firebolt. I was the largest threat to their team. It would make sense that they would try to take me out of the game. Besides, they didn't try to kill me. Cedric Diggory plays fair. Angelina plays fair. Either of them would be a good choice for Hogwarts."

"Harry's right, Ron," Hermione added matter-of-factly as she pulled out a book from her bag and appeared to start reading. "It is just a game. This is just supposed to be a friendly competition between schools. Diggory did apologize for what happened anyways. Why are you still upset about it?"

Ron scowled as he enfolded his arms across his chest like a stubborn child. "You know it was a lot more fun before you became sensible Harry," he said in frustration. "Here I thought Mr. Black and Mr. Lupin would have turned you into a Marauder not another Hermione."

Harry smiled at the comment. "Sirius wanted to turn me into a Marauder, Ron," he said in amusement. "Unfortunately, Remus got to me first. He was the sensible one of the Marauders when they were in school. I guess he was the one who kept Sirius and my dad in line from time to time. You didn't tell Fred and George about Moony, Padfoot and Prongs, right?"

Ron shook his head. "Are you kidding?" he asked. "Do you have any idea what they would do if they found out you were the son of a Marauder? Do you have any idea what they would do if they found out Mr. Lupin and Mr. Black are Marauders? They would demand to know every prank they ever pulled and guess who they would test them on: 'M'-'E'—me! No way! I am not going to be their test dummy!"

Looking over at Hermione, Harry could see a smile on her face. At least he wasn't the only one finding this amusing. "You do have a point, Ron," Harry said thoughtfully. "Maybe I should tell them. Hermione told me about their plans for a joke shop and if Sirius and Remus can help them—"

"Don't you dare Harry," Ron warned but there was no denying the presence of fear in his voice.

Students slowly filtered into the Great Hall. Ron provided a distraction by telling Harry that Viktor Krum was one of the Durmstrang students trying to enter the Tournament. Harry could hardly believe Krum was still in school as he listened to Ron go on and on about wanting Krum's autograph and trying to build up the courage talk to the international Quidditch star.