★Chapter 4★

As each towering oak trunk flew past Lionstar and Blueshine, the medicine cat felt her heart pounding faster and faster in her chest until her insides ached and throbbed.

Lionstar rapidly made his way to a sandy hollow lined with dull shrubbery and large, aging oak trees. He halted swiftly, turning towards Blueshine, his once warm amber eyes now deep and cold. Meeting his gaze; she felt a shiver crawl down her spine, shaking her petite frame. She couldn't help but feel jumpy around the tom.

Blueshine shook out her pelt, trying to stay focused. She buried her paws into the dirt, as to keep a stable stance in front of his unwelcoming stare. Blueshine held a confident position, as to prove herself as the strong-willed cat she wished others saw her as.

"So.." She began steadily, blue tail swaying in the faint light, the rays of midday sunshine dimmed by the gargantuan layers of leaves overhead. The surrounding forest was eerily quiet, only faint scurrys of mice, and the soft flapping of wings could be heard faintly in the distance

"..I think your 'dream' of this 'curse' is true." The massive golden tomcat admitted, grimacing. Lionstar kept his belly low to the floor in a defensive stance, not wanting to seem weak.

Blueshine smirked triumphantly. "Why do you think that?" The she-cat pushed with a smug expression. "Because a cat died?" She could feel her voice rising, her brows furrowing with a sudden realization of the anger she had left bottled up inside towards Lionstar, whose face remained monotonous and unfeeling as the glossy she-cat continued.

"When I get messages, you always believe me! Why not now?" Blueshine protested, her emerald optics rounding with the genuineness embodying her question.

"Because.. because- I don't know!" Lionstar retorted, his words accompanied by a low, frustrated hiss.

Blueshine tried to reply, but the words she wanted to say were stuck in her throat, nearly choking her. I love you, LIonstar.. I always have. The words stuck in her belly felt.. spurious. Unauthentic.

"I have work to do, cats to help," Blueshine spat, turning around and disappearing in the thick bronze brush of Thunderclan territory.

She fumbled through the rocky undergrowth, the thorny brambles catching on her fur and ripping off tufts of her delicate blue-tinted coat. She hissed with annoyance, trying to kick the tendrils away.
"Need a little.. Help?" Lionstar mocked jokingly, watching her struggle through the terrain with a sly leer.
"Go back to camp, and help there, like you always do." She responded in a snarky manner, her jauncided optics burned with a distaste for the tom she had been so infatuated with for so long.

Lionstar snickered slightly, turning his brash look to a distinctively clear ground, pushing his way through it with ease. The sleek blue medicine cat eyed him walking away with covetous glare.

Blueshine lifted her muzzle, rounded nose twitching at the strong scent of withering herbs. She ducked down, plucking the remaining flourished borage leaves from the earth instinctively. She was lucky to find the rich green leaves this time of year, noted by the dying plants surrounding the herb.

The healthy, adolescent plants that had once stood like skyscrapers in the forest were now shriveling away at the icy cold, their once-green leaves curling back and browning. Dead leaves now inhabited the forest floor, and the only ones that remained on the trees were golden and amber-shaded, complementing the contrast tones of browns of the branches of which they inhabited.

Blueshine finished harvesting the borage, lifting her head and narrowing her jade pupils to peer through the brightened light as the sun slowly made its descent in the sky. She could feel her eyes beginning to water, wiping at them with a lighter-hued paw.