Chapter Two ~ An Explanation

He held out his hand. I grabbed it and he pulled me out from the pile of sleepy screws. I blushed as I realised a boy was looking at me in my pyjamas. I sheepishly looked at myself to see how embarrassing they were and noticed I was wearing a completely different outfit than I entered with, one that I didn't even own. It looked nice though. My hair was dyed white, I had a paintbrush behind my ear, a small backpack filled with who knows what, and a pure black dress with paint splatters on it. I'm surprised I hadn't noticed my makeover yet but there was a lot going on.

"You're a Lightner, aren't you?" He asked me.

"I'm very sorry Ralsei, I don't know what that is." I told him. "I was at home, I walked into my shed and I fell down into this."

"As I thought." He said. "This is no good at all. I'm the prince of the Dark World, my job is to seal the fountains that emerge from the darkness as while a fountain is up, a Lightner could fall into the Dark World. I wasn't fast enough for this one however and for the first time ever, a Lightner has in fact fallen into the Dark World."

"Does that mean I'm stuck in here!?" I asked, terrified.

"No! Of course not. I'm just not supposed to let Lighteners in as they could go missing or a chatty one could tell the others and this world would be overrun. But you seem like a good Lightner, right?" He asked me.

"Y-Yeah, I can keep a secret." I told him. "So can you help me get home?"

"Not so long as this fountains up." He explained. "Each fountain takes a place in the Light World and creates a civilization of it, in this case, your shed. For example, the screws and nails are at war under the Dark World names, Twirlers and Hammerheads with a screwdriver and Hammer as their leaders. I assume also you have a big pile of lumber in your shed, correct."

"Yes, why." I asked.

"That pile of lumber is what's blocking us from the fountain." He explained. "It'll take at least two days for us to scale it, do you have anyone who would worry if you went missing in that time?"

"I do..." I told him desperately trying to stay calm.

"Oh..... That's no good at all....." He told me, clearly remorsefully.

"Hey Ralsei!" I told him. "I know this place, I know everything here, maybe that knowledge could help us find a shortcut. Let's see.... Oh! That's right! I have a wood chipper in my shed, could digging through the pile be faster than going over it?"

"It certainly would!" He answered excitedly.

"Great, do you know where we could find it?' I asked.

"Well..... I do know this place has a mayor under the name Mayor WC. Perhaps the WC stands for Wood Chipper!" Ralsei told me.

"Couldn't hurt to try." I told him.

"Ohhh, I was always told to watch out for Lighteners, but you're the best! What's your name?" he asked me. I told him my name and he clapped. "That's such a nice name!" he told me. "[Y/N] and Ralsei! Partners in the Dark World! Ha ha!" he exclaimed. This guy is clearly just as lonely as me but instead of turning it into jadedness, he keeps his head high and works hard to make friends. It's inspiring honestly. "Shall we go to the mayor's office [Y/N]?" he asked.

"Oh! Yeah. Sorry, I got distracted." I told him.

"That's okay!" he responded. He held my hand and ran towards the mayor's office. I was completely flustered.

We got to the office pretty quickly. Unsurprisingly, my shed wasn't too big of a Dark World. We knocked on the door but got no answer. I turned the knob and opened the door.

"[Y/N]! Don't trespass!" Ralsei scolded me.

"Don't trespass on my property's property? It's a wood chipper." I responded sassily. Ralsei pouted. "Sorry Ralsei. I understand this world is different from mine. We should check on the empty office though, there may be a reason that it's empty." I told him. He nodded. We entered the deserted workplace. Chairs were toppled and windows were shattered.

"You're right [Y/N]!" Ralsei said. "Something bad did happen here!" We walked over to the mayor's desk. There were two notes. I picked up the first note and read it out loud.

"For any screwdriver that may be wondering, I have kidnapped Mayor WoodChipper who will soon make me Mayor Hammer! My first order of business will be the execution of you and all of your twirlers! If you do not agree to these terms, the war will be at half past 4:00 PM! Winner becomes the new mayor!

Queen Hammer" I read. I then picked up the next note.

"Game on

Queen Screwdriver"

...

"They're going to kill him!" I exclaimed.

"At least now we do know that the Mayor is the wood chipper." Ralsei tried to reassure me.

"Ralsei. If I'm ever gonna get home, I'm gonna have to go to war." I told him. We looked up at the clock that read 4:25 PM. "And soon....."