Accepting Fate

I walked back to the barn, I couldn't watch it was just too much. I went to collect what I let Win Big wear along with his shipping pads and blanket. As I walked out I saw Christina approaching with Win Big. " Hey Christina," I stopped, there were no words. They were hollow, sad images, I was about to turn away. Behind them, a new pair of horse and human approached, but differently. This pair was not in unison, the horse side-stepped as the jockey tried to clench the reins close to the muzzle without getting a nip. They walked right past us and walked into the barn. The jockey came out a couple minutes later and started talking to her sister. I left them and went to finish gathering the supplies I'd need.

I walked into the barn and the memories come flooding back I stroke each stall as I remember the good times. Arabian Pride, with a dished out face, high set tail, and serious speed, she never lost a race. Corporal is a black stallion with long legs and a lean body, he only lost two races. Golden Eagle a beautiful dun thoroughbred with a pedigree hard to beat, he lost one race. Runaway, the stallion who ran away from Christina that I got, he lost five races and got retired early from stiff joints, he became a happy companion for a rider. The last one I saw was American Glory. She was tried and true to her country. She was all american and had a pedigree fancied by many, won all of her races and has a sour temper. She bucks almost every rider that has sat upon her. She was retired one year ago and has since been the wild horse of the barn.

I went to go slip the fabric halter over Win Big's velvety ears but when I came out of the barn I found a little surprise. Christina and Anna were gone. And so was Win Big. The only evidence that they were even there was the footprints and hoofprints left behind. I followed them. One set of footprints split and led to Christina's van. But Anna's and Win Big's prints led me to a where the tire tracks of a trailer was. I pulled out my phone. But I hesitated and put it back. The only person with a farm is Christina, so they went to Christina's with Win Big, so I got in my car and followed in suite for my horse.