Another Day, Another Race

I know, I know, I shouldn't have done this. I shouldn't have talked Christina into taking Jessica's horse. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm not mad at Maddie nor Jessica, I just snapped, like that. I hear a shuffling in the trailer. I bet he wants Jessica. I look ahead to see Christina turning left into her driveway. Then I realized why I stole Win Big. His first chance didn't work, nor his second chance. Jessica is his last chance, and were helping him by showing him how to act like a racehorse. If Jessica really cares about Win Big, we will see her soon enough, even though she might be a little ticked. I put the car in park and walked out to retrieve Win Big. As I led him along to the barn, I started thinking about what might happen. I might get fired, Jessica might take her horse and leave. But I managed to push those thoughts to the side as I led Win Big into my sister's barn. There I tied his halter onto the stall and Christina appeared a moment later with grooming supplies.

After Christina brought out all the essentials for Win Big, I hear a faint noise coming from the street. I heard someone cut the engine to a car, get out, slam the door, and walk toward the barn. Oh crap. It's Jessica, and she sounds mad.

" Where on earth is my horse!" Jessica bellowed. Rage filled every word, for a second I was too horrified to move nonetheless speak. Even Win Big became tense at the outburst. Then Jessica turned the corner and found us. She seemed to calm the slightest bit when she saw Win Big and that he was okay. But I still felt like all wasn't said and done with, yet. " Jessica, I'm sorry," I choked on my words, and my eyesight started to blur. " I know I shouldn't have taken him but I wanted him to have his chance here where he can feel like he belongs, not where he's singled out and treated like every other poor racing horse!" I couldn't finish what I was saying because I started to cry. Tears streamed down my face and I buried my face into Win Big's side, who turned his head and nuzzled my hair. I felt a hand on my back, and then it withdrew. I could feel where Jessica put her hand going cold. I turned my head slightly when Win Big stopped messing up my hair and saw Jessica grooming him. It was like her anger and rage was never there, replaced with understanding and utter calm. And for the first time in a long time, I felt a heavy burden lift off my shoulders.