Chapter 3

I woke up the next morning feeling fresher than I've felt in a while, anticipating the busy day before me. I sprang out of bed and over to my wardrobe; after getting dressed into my outfit for the day and fixing my hair, I threw open my bedroom window. There's never any pollution in the Encanto, so I inhaled the clean air and let it fill my lungs - the same as I do every morning. The only sounds were the melodious laughs of small children and the quiet chattering of their parents with one another. Tranquillity washed over my skin like a rippling wave, and it was perfect.

Well, at least it WAS perfect, until I heard quick footsteps tapping on the stone street, getting louder as they approached. Detecting the source of the disturbance, I rolled my eyes when I saw Agustín rapidly coming towards my house. He noticed me in the window and his face lit up, as though relieved to see that I'm home; of course I'm home, it's 9 o'clock in the morning, where else would I be?

"Agustín? What are you doing here at this time? And why are you all...sweaty?" I called down to him.

"I need help preparing for tonight!" He looked at me like it was obvious. It was difficult to take him seriously when his glasses were nearly falling off his face and his hair stuck up in all the wrong places.

"Tonight is ages away Agustín, what could you possibly need help with now?"

"Look, I'm nervous, okay? Can you please let me in?" he practically begged me.

"Oh fine, wait there." I sighed. I trudged down the stairs and unlocked my front door, opening it and letting the sweaty mess I called my best friend into my house. It was then that I noticed the fresh graze on his forearm; pointing at it, I asked, "How'd you manage to get another one?"

As much as I love him, Agustín can be pretty accident-prone. That's one of the reasons he and Julieta caught feelings for each other: she's always having to fix whatever injury he's sustained during the day.

He looked at his forearm and then moved to rub the back of his neck. "Uhm yeah- I may have tripped over on the way here?" he nervously chuckled. "But I can't really go to Julieta and fix it, I don't want to spoil the day by seeing her too early."

"Well you'll have to settle for my first aid skills, I'm afraid. Come on." I lead him over to my kitchen where my bandages were. I don't own a lot of first aid supplies since everyone just goes to Julieta if they want healing. I cleaned the wound lightly and then began wrapping the thin cloth around it. "So, remind me why you're here so early again?"

He ran a hand over his face and sighed. "I'm completely freaking out about tonight; I've got no idea what to wear, what to bring or what to say." He stood up and thanked me when I finished wrapping the bandage around his arm.

"Firstly, where are you taking her?" I asked as I put the excess bandages away.

"To the small restaurant near the centre of the Encanto, remember where we had those amazing empanadas?"

"Yes, that place is excellent! Great choice amigo - I think you should dress smartly, but don't go over the top, okay? I know what you're like. Secondly, what time are you picking her up?"

"At seven."

I froze and looked at him incredulously. "You're meeting her at seven, and you've come to ask for my help at nine in the morning? You've got fourteen hours Agustín." I moaned, exasperated.

The tips of his ears went red and he crossed his arms, "Look, I've told you already: I. Am. Panicking. I need you to be my wingman for me. I want tonight to be perfect, so I've come to the second person I know who can create perfection" he pandered, nudging me whilst giving me the best puppy dog eyes he could muster.

"Caramba, I'm honoured," I remarked, rolling my eyes and nudging him back. "Fine. I recommend bringing her flowers or something, most women appreciate that; you know her better than me though, so just give her something you think she'll like. Otherwise, just remember to stay calm and have fun." I gave him a warm smile.

"Gracias (y/n)," he returned the smile. Suddenly, he became sheepish and started rubbing the back of his neck again. "Do you think it would possible for you to, oh I don't know, maybe tag along tonight - from afar?"

"Just to clarify, are you asking me to stalk you and Julieta?" I inquired, giving him a blank stare. He didn't reply, but he did give me a tentative smile and shrug his shoulders. Great, so he was asking me that. "Aye, Agustín.." I shook my head in disappointment. "you do not need me to tag along, you will be fine. You are both lovely people and you are going to have an equally lovely date. Besides, I have plans tonight."

For some rude reason, my statement made him furrow his eyebrows. "Plans? Who with?"

"I don't see why that's any of your business." I asserted, desperately trying to keep the growing smile off of my smile.

Unfortunately, Agustín notices the corners of my lips twitching upwards, and I was defeated. "Oh come on, you know you want to tell me! Who is it?"

I mumbled Bruno's name under my breath. My friend stared at me, clearly confused, and shouted, "What? Speak up por favor!"

I glared at him and stubbornly pronounced, "Bruno Madrigal."

His jaw practically fell to the floor. "Bruno?! Since when have spent your evenings with Bruno?"

"I'm not really 'spending the evening' with him; we spoke for hours in the woods yesterday, and I'm meeting him to do the same today." Suddenly, a thought hit me like a brick in the face. "Wait, what if he doesn't show up?" I voiced my concerns to Agustín. I mean, it's Bruno: he's not exactly known for being a social butterfly - he might decide to stay at home.

Agustín moved to put his hands on my shoulders and equipped his most comforting tone, "Hey, if he said he'd come, then he's coming, okay? If he doesn't, then he'll have me and Julieta to deal with."

I smiled fondly at my best friend, "Gracias, Agustín. Anyway, we should go pick out your outfit for tonight!"

"Yes, and then decide which flowers to take her - I think she'll appreciate flowers. Do you think you could help me with conversation starters as well?" He questioned shyly as we began making our way out of my house.

"Ohh I suppose so.." I sighed jokingly, feigning exasperation. Me and him then set out on our mission to create the perfect date for Julieta.

Despite his reassurances, I can't get rid of the residual nerves in the pit of my chest. Dios, I hope Bruno turns up.

I want him to turn up.

a/n : heyy i hope you enjoyed the chapter! have a nice day <3