Chapter 5

The next morning, Agustín and I were hanging out at my house. He was draped across my biggest chair, telling me all about last night's date with Julieta with a dreamy look plastered on his face the whole time. I listened intently, happy for my best friend.

"I didn't think it was possible for her to look any more beautiful (y/n), you should've seen her." He stared into space and the way he spoke made him sound intoxicated; in a way, he was.

"I did see her Agustín, and you're right. You are one lucky guy mi amigo," I told him, looking over at him with a proud smile. "I'm assuming you two are gonna see each other again?" 

A light blush crept on to his face, along with a small smile, as he replied, "Oh yeah, definitely. I'm already planning out our next date in my head; don't worry, I'm pretty sure I can handle this one on my own." He reassured, finally turning to look at me. He must have sensed the dread that emerged in me, but it was eradicated by his words. He caught me letting out a breath of relief and moved to swat me before going back to staring off at nothing, letting a cheeky grin remain on his face.

We continued to discuss his date - particularly how he felt about Julieta - for a while. Shockingly, he hadn't managed to injure himself, which was something that deserved its own separate celebration. I was pleased to hear that Julieta adored the flowers that Agustín and I had chosen for her (of course she wasn't aware that I had played a part in their night); apparently, she claimed that she'd 'cherish' them.

How sweet.

Agustín then decided to turn the conversation onto my evening with Bruno, much to my chagrin.

 Well, I say to my chagrin. Secretly, all I want to do is pour my heart out and tell someone about the wonder that is Bruno. I just don't want Agustín to make a huge deal out of it like he always does.

"Come on (y/n)," he dragged out my name. "I told you about my date! It's only fair that you tell me about yours-"

"Woah woah woah, let me stop you right there." I cut him off, waving my finger at him. "Last night, the meeting between me and Bruno? That most definitely was NOT a date. I mean, I barely even know him." I finished, scoffing at the end.

I'll admit, I lied a bit there. Yes, we've only really known each other for a couple of days, but I feel like I know him more than I know most people in my life. I probably don't - it's just a feeling I have.

Agustín quirked up an eyebrow at me. "Okay, whatever you say mentiroso." A small pause. "You're going to see him again though, right?"

"Oh yeah, hopefully." I said without hesitation. My friend knows me well enough that I don't even have to tell him I have minor feelings for Bruno: I know he can tell, and he knows that I know. "I just don't know when I'll get to see him next."

As if on cue, there was a knock on my front door. It wasn't very loud, so I'm surprised we even managed to hear it. I got up and made my way over to it whilst Agustín grumbled about the person being "rude" for "interrupting an important conversation".

It was a pleasant surprise to be greeted by Bruno when I opened the door. Agustín immediately stopped talking and spied on us out of the corner of his eye. 

"Oh, hola Bruno. What brings you here?" A smile naturally painted my face.

"Hola (y/n), you look nice today," he stuttered. "I was wondering whether I could ask you something?" He stood up as straight as he could and tried to keep eye contact with me. However, the way he fiddled with the hem of his poncho gave away his nerves. I appreciated the effort though, and nodded for him to continue. "Right- uh...did you maybe want to go out with me tonight? Someplace nice?"

My brain took a moment to register what he said. Did he just ask me out on a date? Oh god, I bet Agustín is having a field day right now.

Bruno was about to say something else, but I cut him off.

"Of course, I'd really like that."

"Wait- really?" He looked into my eyes like he was searching for a scintilla of doubt, but he wouldn't find any; I just stared right back, grinning coyly. As soon as he got the message, he removed his hands from his poncho and his eyes lit up. "That's great! I'll meet you back here at 7, is that okay?"

I nodded, about to confirm the time, before two figures emerged from behind a nearby house. "She said yes!" Pepa and Julieta Madrigal cheered as they clung to one another's sides, looking at their brother with pride, who just widened his eyes and froze. Clearly embarrassed, Bruno grinned at me, although it looked remarkably similar to a grimace.

"I will see you tonight then (y/n), adios."

I waved him off and chuckled as he turned around and complained to his sisters, playfully hitting their arms as they walked back to their Casita.

When I closed the door, I spun round to see Agustín smirking at me; he was still lounged across his seat. I glared at him, daring him to say what I thought he was going to say. And he did.

"Want some help?"

a/n - if you spot any mistakes then please tell me, and a huge thank you to the people who have voted :)