A Change (Ch. 1)

"Alright, Takemichi! We'll be going now."

Huh? Oh, yeah. The Mizo Middle Five came to visit him.

"Okay. Thanks, guys." How nice of them to come visit him in the hospital, taking time out of their day and all.

"What's wrong, Takemichi?" He heard Hina ask. It made him turn to look at her, and it was so hard to not imagine her dying right in front of him all of the previous times.

"Oh, it's nothing." He shot her a quick smile.

"Really...?" She looked unconvinced. "I'll be going out to buy some stuff. You want anything?"

"Ah...nah, it's fine."

She left, and that's all it took for Takemichi to burst into a fit of mutters and mumbles.

////////////////////////////////////////

"My condolences, Takemichi." What? He didn't like hearing those words. Don't say them, please.

"We heard that you were with Draken during his final moments." Hakkai brought up.

Takemichi hummed in agreement, letting them know he was listening. It was hard to hear, it felt like he was underwater.

Was he drowning?

"Sorry that we didn't know anything." Angry remarked before his brother took over.

"The one who's in the most pain right now must be you..." He didn't respond to Smiley's comment, nor when Hakkai squeezed his wrist in reassurance.

"If anything, you can count on us, okay?" He told Takemichi, making the blond boy turn his head to look at him. "We'll definitely lend a helping hand." Hakkai smiled.

"Thank you," Takemichi smiled. "But...I'm fine, really."

"...I see." He replied.

'I can't get them involved.'

"See you, Takemichi." Huh? What happened?

Oh.

"Thanks for checking up on me!" He gave them a closed eye smile as they left, shutting the door. 'Everyone...thank you for the help so far. But I...'

"I will..." He took in a breathe, determination flooding his entire being.

"I'll protect everyone on my own!"

////////////////////////////////////////

Hina walked into the hospital room, seeing Takemichi sitting quietly on the bed.

"Huh?" The familiar voice made the boy turn to look at her. 'Hina...'

"They left already?" She asked before heading over to stock the mini fridge that laid near the hospital bed. "They've been visiting you even when you were unconscious for three days..."

"They're really worried about you." She told her boyfriend. "You are," She smiled. "Blessed with such kind friends."

He stayed quiet, thinking, before he finally spoke up. "...Hina,"

"I came back and got them involved. It was because of my own selfishness that I got them upset. So, I've decided," He smiled. "I'll settle things by myself."

He turned to grin at her. "So Hina, you can go home."

"Takemichi-kun..."

"I'll be fine."

He always was. He managed to get through it all, remember?

Don't you remember?

You can't forget.

He can't forget.

His eyes widened, feeling her embrace him. "You're lying."

"Say, Takemichi-kun?" She continued to hug him. "Cry it all out."

"Let's start with something you find hard to do." Hina told him. "It's okay."

Was it?

Was it really?

If things were okay, why did he have bruises on him? Why was he in the hospital? Was he too weak? Too weak to stop Mikey?

How was that okay?

"You have a lot on your mind right now, but it's okay. Just cry it all out first."

Oh.

That sounded nice.

But all of the other times he's cried...it never helped. Not even once. It only pushed him through. But he doesn't want to push through anymore. He doesn't want to do this anymore.

But he has to. He can do it.

He can do it, right?

"When you're in pain, just cry." She told him, but he wouldn't.

Not this time.

His entire body was shaking, begging him to relieve some stress. He would, just not by crying.

"Hina-chan...I'm sorry, thank you, but..." He gently tore her arms off of him, hands holding hers.

Looking her in the eyes, he made her a promise.

One that he intended to keep.

"I won't cry until I save Mikey-kun."